Shafee received RM9.5 million from Najib when he led the Sodomy II prosecution team against Anwar.
- New information obtained by MACC, came to PH’s knowledge on June 26
- Proof that Shafee blatantly lied about RM9.5 million
An officer in the Attorney-General’s Office (AGC) has released an affidavit alleging two cheques worth RM9.5 million were issued by former prime minister Najib Razak to Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, the lawyer who led the prosecution team in Anwar Ibrahim’s 2015 appeal against his sodomy conviction.
The affidavit from Siti Rahayu Mohd Mumazaini, which was released by PKR president Anwar’s office, claimed the new information came to the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government’s knowledge on June 26 after the change of government in GE14.
“The information establishes that the appellant’s (Anwar) allegation that Shafee received a payment of RM9.5 million from Najib was true and that Shafee’s denial of this allegation in paragraph 28 of Shafee’s affidavit was untruthful,” said the special task officer to the attorney-general.
She claimed that Najib had issued two cheques on September 11, 2013, and February 14, 2014, for RM4.3 million and RM5.2 million respectively from his bank account. Shafee allegedly received RM9.5 million in two tranches of RM4.3 million and RM5.2 million in his CIMB Bank account on September 13, 2013, and February 17, 2014, respectively.
“The information was obtained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) after the issuance of an Order obtained under subsection 44(1) of AMLA to freeze Shafee’s CIMB Bank account,” Siti Rahayu said in her affidavit, referring to the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLA).
The affidavit was also attached with a copy of a bank statement of Shafee’s account, as well as photocopy images of the two cheques from Najib.
Shafee was the Special Prosecutor in the appeal of Anwar’s acquittal beginning in July 2013 until the case concluded at the Federal Court in February 2015.
“I maintain that TS Shafee should never have been allowed to prosecute the Appeal in the first place.
“Appointing an outside prosecutor is not an ordinary practice by the attorney-general, and is even more irregular in this case when the individual appointed is a known close confidante of Datuk Seri Najib, who is himself materially involved in the case,” Anwar’s office said in a statement.
Last year, Anwar filed a suit to quash his sodomy conviction, saying he had not received a fair trial, and citing a payment amounting to RM9.5 million allegedly from Najib.
The High Court in November last year struck out the suit, saying Anwar had not provided any evidence to support his allegations.
Shafee had previously dismissed the allegations about him receiving RM9.5 million from Najib as “nonsense”.
“I was never paid RM9.5 million to prosecute Anwar’s case,” he had said.
Anwar said the latest proof about the payment made to Shafee during the time frame of his role as prosecutor effectively destroys his credibility as an unbiased agent of the AGC.
“The affidavit is being released to the public,” Anwar said.
“I believe that in the New Malaysia we must be uncompromising in our commitment to the rule of law and to re-establishing credibility of the judiciary and the legal fraternity.
“These abuses of power should not be allowed to continue and there must be accountability,” he added.
Anwar was in 2010 charged and tried with sodomy for the second time, this time involving his former aide Saiful Bukhari Azlan.
Saiful, prior to accusing Anwar of sodomy, had personally met Najib who claimed Saiful met him to discuss a scholarship.
The Kuala Lumpur High Court cleared Anwar of wrongdoing but the prosecution appealed, this time with Shafee being put in charge as special prosecutor.
The Court of Appeal then overturned Anwar’s acquittal in 2014 and this decision was reaffirmed by the Federal Court in February 2015.
Anwar was sent to prison but released in May this year following a royal pardon after a change of the 61-year-old federal government.