He said he would review, not abolish e-hailing services.
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad accused a media outlet of publishing fake news in a report claiming he said Pakatan Harapan (PH) would abolish ride-hailing services if it wins the coming general election.
The report in question cited a Malay vernacular newspaper’s article, in which the PH chairman told taxi drivers in Langkawi that his pact would review ride-sharing services in light of their grouses.
However, the news portal published the article with a headline stating: “Dr M says Pakatan will abolish ride-hailing services”.
“Fake news! I said that we need to study the current existing Act in order for the two parties (Grab and taxi) interest is taken care,” he posted on his Facebook page today.
Barisan Nasional chairman Datuk Seri Najib Razak commented earlier on the Dr Mahathir’s remarks, saying it exposed the nonagenarian’s failure to keep up with the digitally connected world.
Taking to Twitter, the former premier said he had mentioned that the current legislation would be reviewed to ensure that the rights of both, e-hailing services and taxi drivers, are protected.
“Please spread this tweet so people would know how desperate the pro-BN media is. They know Grab drivers and taxi drivers reject Umno-BN,” he said.
Video jawapan Dr Mahathir Mohamad mengenai perkhidmatan Grab baru baru ini di Langkawi dalam satu dialog dengan pengusaha pelancongan Langkawi. – Admin
Posted by Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad on Monday, April 30, 2018
Mahathir also included a link to the Star Online report on the issue, but the page no longer existed.
The New Straits Times, quoting Sinar Harian, published Mahathir’s remarks on the ride-hailing services with the headline, “Mahathir: We will abolish Grab, ride-sharing services if opposition takes over government.” The article was later removed.