Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz has challenged Datuk Seri Azmin Ali to take legal action against him if the Economic Affairs Minister is confident of his own innocence.
Haziq, the Santubong PKR Youth chief who caused an uproar with his confession that he was the man in the sex video with Azmin, also challenged Azmin to lodge a police report against him, The Star reported.
“He should do it himself. Let’s have the entire evidence and details in the open,” he was quoted as saying.
To emphasise his point, Haziq spoke of how the police had recorded a statement from Azmin while his political secretary Muhammad Hilman Idham had made a police report.
Azmin, who is PKR deputy president, has denied being the man in the video with Haziq. He claimed to be a victim of slander, saying that the video was the work of parties seeking to destroy his political career.
He also claimed to have only had minimal contact with Haziq and dismissed reports that the two were close.
However, Haziq told The Malaysian Insight that he had known Azmin from his days as an undergraduate in Universiti Malaya and had grown close to the veteran politician from 2014.
“I first got to know Azmin from when I was studying at Universiti Malaya. I assisted in Azmin’s election campaign when he was challenged by Khalid Ibrahim,” he said, referring to the former Selangor menteri besar.
In an interview with The Malaysian Insight two days ago, Haziq denied that he was paid to make accusations against Azmin or that he tried to escape when he was detained by police at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport last week.
He said he was stressed following the leak of the video clips and wanted a short holiday in Manila.
He also denied that he had been paid millions of ringgit to admit to being the man with Azmin in the videos.
He reiterated yesterday that it was he and Azmin in the video clips of two men having sex.
“I am not a liar. I want the matter to be brought open in the court so that Malaysians can see for themselves the evidence. Malaysians would then be able to see who’s telling the truth,” said Haziq, who is a lawyer.
He said that Azmin had made wrongful accusations against him.
“In fact, I am a victim of the situation. If I am defaming him, he has all the right to sue me in a court of law,” he said.
“Initially I did not have anything against Azmin as I thought we were both victims in the case.
“I got upset when Hilman tried to silence me and Azmin accused me of being planted by Umno and Barisan Nasional.
“I never said anything bad about Azmin. He should lodge a police report and sue me if I am defaming him.”
He also appealed to the police to wrap up the case as soon as possible.
“The police took my second statement for four hours, 9pm and 1am on Thursday. I had to explain to them from A to Z on what happened as they said there was a gap so I had to give more details in my story.”
The interview with Haziq was held in Langkawi as he said he wanted to have “a weekend getaway to calm my mind since I can’t travel overseas yet. That is why I chose Langkawi”.
Haziq, who appeared calm throughout the interview, said he wanted the truth to be out as “I don’t want to be in hiding forever”.