Investigation over Viral Video of Foreigners Allegedly Given ICs

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The MCMC and PDRM have recorded the statement of controversial blogger Ratu Naga over a viral video claiming that foreigners were being given identity cards.

The 2.38-minute video published on the ‘Ratu Naga’ Facebook page first appeared a few years ago.

The reportedly fake video claimed that Bangladeshi nationals were given identity cards purportedly for the purpose of voting in the general election.

Social Media

In a statement yesterday, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said that Ratu Naga, whose real name is Syarul Ema Rena Abu Samah, was present at the Petaling Jaya District Police Headquarters following a notice issued by the commission.

The MCMC issued the notice on Syarul, 38, through her husband after attempts to locate her at premises in Jalan Klang Lama failed, said the statement.

According to the MCMC, the woman’s statement was recorded under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 and Penal Code.

MCMC chief operating officer Datuk Dr Mazlan Ismail reportedly said the commission had received complaints on the dissemination of the video and investigation were being conducted in collaboration with the police to identify the individuals involved.

“There is no compromise on the spreading of fake news. Their conduct has destroyed the well-being, prosperity and security of the people and country. They will not be exempted from receiving penalties under the existing laws,” Mazlan was quoted in the statement.

The MCMC said the case would be referred to the Office of the Deputy Public Prosecutor when the investigation is completed.

Mazlan also cautioned the public against sharing, circulating or uploading any unverified content online and said that the MCMC took the matter seriously and would take action against the culprits.

Transmitting any communication deemed malicious to others is an offence under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

Meanwhile, when contacted by Bernama, Syarul said she arrived at the police headquarters accompanied by two lawyers at about 9.50am yesterday. She said the process of giving her statement went smoothly and it lasted for five hours.

Nik Hariff Hassan

“At the moment, I don’t want to make any comments and hand over the investigation to MCMC while my mobile phone and sim card have been seized for investigation. Right now, I am awaiting further action from MCMC on the case,” she added.

According to the New Straits Times, she has denied involvement in the video.

“The video was shared via a Facebook account that used my name and picture,” she was quoted as saying.