Malaysia agreed to Indonesia’s request to drop charges against Siti Aisyah who was accused of killing Kim Jong-un’s half-brother.
The 26-year-old was released from custody today and will be able to return to Indonesia, Attorney-General Tommy Thomas told Yasonna Laoly, Indonesia’s law minister, in a letter on March 8.
Siti Aisyah’s trial was suspended in December as her lawyers argued with prosecutors over access to statements made by seven witnesses.
Prosecutors told the court they had been instructed to withdraw the charge against Siti Aisyah. No reason was given for the application.
After the court decision to release her, Siti Aisyah hugged her co-accused Doan Thi Huong, a 30-year-old Vietnamese woman, and cried.
Once the court released Siti Aisyah, she was immediately rushed to an elevator and was seen being escorted to an Indonesian embassy car waiting outside the courthouse.
While the court discharged Siti Aisyah from the case, it rejected her lawyer’s request for her to be fully acquitted, as it said that the trial had already established a prima facie case and she could be recalled it fresh evidence emerges.
From the outset of the case, there were suspicions that Jong-nam was the victim of a plot arranged by North Korean agents who left Malaysia hours after the killing, and the two women had been merely pawns in a political assassination.
Siti Aisyah had been working as a masseuse in Kuala Lumpur, while Doan described herself as an entertainer.
“We still believe that she was merely a scapegoat,” Siti Aisyah’s lawyer, Gooi Soon Seng, told reporters.