The judge dismissed a motion for a gag order brought by Najib’s lawyer to stop discussion of the case, ruling that the gag order violates freedom of speech.
Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah said Najib will be appealing the decision.
The Kuala Lumpur High Court fixed Feb 12 to Feb 28 and March 4 to March 29 next year for the trial in the criminal cases linked to 1MDB of former premier Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, with case management fixed for Oct 4.
Najib and his wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor have been barred from leaving the country after his decade in power ended.
Najib was arrested last month and has been charged with seven offences, including criminal breach of trust, abuse of power and money laundering.
He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges and has been granted bail.
Judge Mohamad Nazlan Mohamad Ghazali said in a pre-trial hearing today the trial would begin on February 12 and gave the prosecution until March 29 to present its case.
All of the charges against Najib relate to an alleged transfer of RM42 million into his personal bank account from SRC International, a former unit of 1MDB.
The judge also dismissed a motion for a gag order brought by Shafee to stop discussion of the case among the public and in the media.
Shafee had said his client was being subjected to trial by the media.
The judge said greater emphasis should be given to the right of freedom of speech, and there was no need for a gag order as comments on the case were already regulated by existing laws.