IGP says no go-ahead from AGC yet.
Any decision on reopening of investigation into the death of Teoh Beng Hock should be made by the Attorney-General (A-G), said Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
So far, he said, no directive had been issued by the A-G for the police to reopen the investigation.
“I was told (application) is still at the A-G’s office,” he told a media conference today.
Muhyiddin said this following a statement by a lawyer for Teoh’s family, Ramkarpal Singh, urging the police to carry out further investigation into Teoh’s death.
Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun, who was also at the media conference, said police had yet to get further instruction from the Attorney-General’s Chambers on the matter.
Teoh was found dead on July 19, 2009, at the corridor on the fifth floor of Plaza Masalam, in Shah Alam, after giving his statement at the Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office, which is on the 14th floor of the building.
A Royal Commission of Inquiry concluded that Teoh was driven to suicide due to the aggressive interrogation methods used by MACC officers.
It also blamed three officers for their aggressive methods which violated procedures.
In July, Fuzi reportedly said the police would comply with the AGC’s instructions to conduct further investigations into Teoh’s death.
He said police would resubmit their findings to the AGC for further action.
Jul 19, Reopening Teoh Beng Hock Case