Telekom Malaysia Berhad (TM) has reiterated today that there has been no change to the upload speed configuration for one of its broadband packages as the telecommunications company comes under investigation by the authorities for alleged false advertising.
The telecommunications giant said it regrets the error and had issued a clarification statement on the matter.
“In the meantime, we will give our full cooperation to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in their investigation.
“We would like to reiterate that there has been no change to the upload speed configuration for the new unifi 500Mbps package,” TM said in a statement.
Earlier today, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said it has commenced investigation over consumer complaints with regards to the reduction of upload speeds for TM’s 500Mbps Unifi fibre broadband plan.
TM also sought today to assure its customers and stakeholders of its commitment to consumers’ rights and protection, adding that the company will continue to be transparent in informing its customers while tightening their processes to ensure the issue does not recur.
The new 800Mbps and 500Mbps Unifi packages were launched last month with 200Mbps upload speed for both plans, however, the upload speed for the 500Mbps option was changed to 100Mbps on September 2.
According to TM, the 200Mbps upload speed was a “mistake” and they have updated their website, FAQ and leaflets eight days after the plan was revealed. The change of plan offering has sparked complaints online, even by customers that have subscribed before the correction was made.
“A correction was made to an error in the upload speed for our 500Mbps package stated in the FAQ, unifi Portal and leaflets on 2 September 2020. The correct upload speed configuration for 500Mbps is 100Mbps instead of 200Mbps stated in the earlier version of the FAQs, unifi Portal and leaflets,” TM said in today’s statement.
The company also issued an apology for any inconvenience caused and subsequently assured its customers that all of its channels, including website and marketing materials, have been updated to reflect the correct information.
“We wish to update that all customers are still within the 30-day Try Me period as we just introduced the package less than one month ago on August 24. Hence, customers can opt not to continue with us without any penalty.
“We will be calling the customers who have signed up for the 500Mbps package since August 24 to inform them of the error and on the options available to them, starting Monday September 21 onwards,” it said.
Earlier today, MCMC said the complaints were also reported by various news outlets as it appears that the initial offer with the higher upload speed that was published last month was misleading consumers.
The MCMC said if it has found several elements that infringe the rights of consumers based on early findings, the commission will not hesitate to take further action against the service provider. – MMO