Sarawak Tycoon Bustari Seeks to Settle RM11.9M Government Forfeiture Suit

551
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Sarawak businessman Bustari Yusof is seeking to settle the government’s forfeiture suit against him for allegedly receiving RM11.9 million of 1MDB funds.

The Edge Markets

His lawyer Kamarul Hisham Kamaruddin told the High Court today they will file in a representation letter to Attorney-General Tommy Thomas to settle the case out of court.

High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah set Nov 1 for mention pending the decision by the AG’s Chambers on whether to accept their representation for a settlement.

Deputy public prosecutor Mahadi Abd Jumaat told the court he is not certain how the government will respond to Bustari’s proposed settlement.

“We ask the court to fix a mention date first and give the A-G time to respond. From there, we can decide later on whether both parties will proceed for a full hearing,” he said.

Bustari’s lawyers previously told the court they were objecting to the government forfeiture’s bid on grounds the prosecution had used a “wrong mode” to commence the legal proceedings.

Mahadi also told the court the prosecution needed time to prepare their response to the defence’s argument that they used a “wrong mode” in the forfeiture application.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is seeking to recover RM270 million from 41 individuals and organisations in funds allegedly channelled from former prime minister Najib Razak‘s account.

Bernama

It was reported previously that Bustari was Najib’s right-hand man and played golf regularly with the former prime minister. Bustari is also the elder brother of former works minister Fadillah Yusof. – FMT