Security Team in RM3.5M ‘Heist’ at PM’s Dept Released on Bail

805

All 17 security personnel at the Prime Minister’s Department suspected of misusing RM3.5 million believed to be meant for the 14th general election have been released on bail.

Fifteen of them were released with one surety after being brought before Putrajaya magistrate Nadhirah Abdul Rahim this morning.

Another two had been released with one surety on Friday.

The 17 were arrested by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on Aug 7 under Section 23 of the MACC Act, which concerns the use of office or position for gratification.

The Putrajaya Magistrate’s Court had granted a five-day remand against them that was due to expire tomorrow.

The group comprise a senior security officer of Grade 52 and 16 security guards. As of Aug 10, MACC had seized over RM1.19 million in cash from the suspects, in addition to several cars, motorcycles, and other goods.

Sources had previously told Malaysiakini that the security personnel are believed to have broken into former prime minister Najib Abdul Razak’s office on the night of the general election in May upon learning that BN was about to lose.

They then carted away the RM3.5 million – which the MACC said was part of Umno’s election war chest – that was purportedly not kept in a safe.

Najib, too, later claimed the money belonged to Umno.

Sources had also told Malaysiakini that the MACC intends to question Najib, who was Umno chairperson, concerning the money. – Malaysiakini


Earlier reports:

Aug 11, MACC to Quiz Najib over Claim That RM3.5M Belongs to Umno

Aug 10, RM3.5M Taken from PM’s Office were Umno’s Funds

Aug 8, Security Team in PM’s Dept Arrested in RM3.5M Graft Case