The man who accused PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim of sexual misconduct, Muhammad Yusoff Rawther and his lawyer Datuk Haniff Khatri has requested clarification from the solicitor-general over her statement when she dismissed the case.
In a press conference today, Haniff said that he and his client would like clarification on point four of Solicitor-General Datuk Engku Nor Faizah Engku Atek’s media statement dated January 14, 2020.
“The power to prosecute rests with the attorney-general. In this case, the solicitor-general. However, in this case, they should not have made a statement that sounds like a court decision. Only the court can decide whether or not the report was false or otherwise, and the witness is believable or not.
“So, paragraph four of their press statement needs more explanation whether the contradiction of facts is solely from the complainant or the complainant and the one being complained against.
“But referring to this statement here, it seems that the contradiction of facts is (purely) from Yusoff and if it is true, it is usurpation of the functions of the court,” said Haniff.
The senior lawyer said he had sent Engku Nor Faizah an email last night as well as a letter to be delivered by hand today requesting for the meeting and expects a reply in seven days.
After the meeting with the solicitor-general, Haniff said that Yusoff also plans on filing a civil suit against Anwar but he requires the clarification first.
Furthermore, he also questioned the Petaling Jaya police department for not giving Yusoff any updates regarding the police report lodged against Anwar’s political secretary Farhash Wafa Salvadore Rizal who had allegedly assaulted his client in May last year.
At the same time, Haniff also questioned Anwar’s legal representatives from Karpal Singh and Co regarding the defamation suit against Yusoff.
“Seeing that till today we haven’t received any summons from Tetuan Karpal and Co, even after Datuk Seri Anwar said that he will maintain his civil suit, we wrote to the firm saying that we haven’t received the summonses and that we are ready for it.
“Based on my discussion with Yusoff, he is more comfortable if Anwar continues with his civil action. Don’t retract the suit that was filed.
“With all the misunderstanding with the solicitor-general who said that there is insufficient evidence, this can be resolved in the Civil Court, so we are looking forward to the civil action,” said Haniff.
When Yusoff was asked what he thought about Anwar’s civil suit, he merely said: “Bring it on. If Anwar wants to sue me, bring it on.”
He said he was satisfied with the police investigation, adding that he agreed to take the polygraph knowing the risk that the alleged incident took place long ago.
“I decided to do the polygraph test to strengthen my case against Anwar. I did this to obtain justice for the criminal act committed against me by Anwar.
“I must state, it is not easy to get to the root of the issue, as it happened close to a year ago,” he said.
Yusoff said he was “terribly disappointed” with the reasons given by the AGC.
“I am angry that this is the decision that they have come to.”
Yusoff said he had problems finding a lawyer to take up his case.
“I went to several lawyers before Haniff. They were either afraid to take this matter on, or some wanted to use this to their own advantage, and I wasn’t comfortable with that.
“Haniff came across as an honest person and I’m comfortable with him,” said Yusoff.
Haniff, meanwhile, agreed that any civil action from either side could affect Anwar’s prospects of becoming the next prime minister.
But he said the case involving Yusoff has nothing to do with politics.
“As a lawyer, the issue of the transition of power is a Pakatan Harapan issue. If they want to take into account these factors, that’s for them to decide.
“The transition of power is based on an agreement. It is not governed by the constitution,” he added.
Haniff, however, said that any transition of power could be problematic if it faces opposition from the people.