A notice had been sent to Zahid requiring his presence at the MACC headquarters at 10am.
- MACC allegedly investigating Zahid and his family over:
- RM800k in foundation funds used to pay off his and his wife’s credit cards bills
- RM75 million Teedo Resort in Bagan Datuk
- Source of funds in a family member’s bank account
Graft investigators are expected to quiz Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi over claims he used funds belonging to Yayasan Akal Budi when they haul him up for the third time tomorrow.
The Star reported that Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) sources said they had not completed questioning Zahid on the case.
They said he had only been questioned on the Yayasan issue on July 3. His first meeting with the MACC the day earlier was believed to be on investigations into the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
Zahid, however, tweeted yesterday that the MACC would only be recording his statement and advised his supporters against holding a gathering in front of the MACC headquarters.
“Personally, I request that no gathering be held on Wednesday morning in front of MACC headquarters. I am only providing a statement. I will extend full cooperation to the MACC,” he said in a Twitter posting.
Zahid was responding to a message issued by Pemantau Malaysia Baru president and Umno Supreme Council member Datuk Lokman Noor Adam, which has been circulating among party members asking them to be present at MACC headquarters in a show of support for the former DPM.
In the message, Lokman said he would be wearing an orange T-shirt, similar to those worn by MACC detainees. However, Lokman said in a statement following Zahid’s request that the planned gathering has been called off.
Zahid is the chairman of Yayasan Akal Budi, a foundation he set up for Islamic charity with personal donations from him and close friends.
Records showed that the foundation was registered in 1997 and its role is to receive and administer funds to eradicate poverty.
According to reports, he had been asked to explain claims that RM800,000 in foundation funds were used to pay off credit card bills belonging to him and his wife.
Zahid was quoted as saying that he had repaid all the money belonging to the foundation.
He said the payment was made in 2016, and he later found out that his officer had mistakenly used a cheque belonging to the foundation.
“I received the credit card bills and passed them to my officer to make payment. But he made a mistake by using money from the foundation. When I realised this, I repaid the amount in full with my own,” he said, adding all the necessary documents, as well as a photocopy of the cheque for the repayment, were given to MACC officers.
Meanwhile, Malaysiakini reported that Zahid is expected to face MACC charges in regard to the alleged misappropriation of the Yayasan funds.
According to the news portal, an MACC source said Zahid is most likely to be charged on Thursday, and if that is true, it means he will be spending the night in the MACC premises.
Reportedly, another source close to the matter said Zahid could be facing tough days ahead as the MACC has not only been investigating him and his family on a resort project in Bagan Datuk but also looking into the source of funds in a family member’s bank account.
In April, Bernama reported that Zahid launched the project, known as the Teedo Resort, which cost about RM75 million, during a ground-breaking ceremony attended by his wife and daughter.
Zahid was quoted as saying that the project would be done without government funding.
“For your information, the construction of this hotel will be done without a single sen of government money and even the land and infrastructure will be financed 100 percent by the private sector,” he had said.
It is understood that the 60-hectare resort will house a commercial zone, a shopping centre, restaurants, a theme park and a religious school with the total gross development costing about RM250 million.
It was also reported that Zahid was questioned by MACC of his Aug 22, 2015, meeting with a member of the Saudi royal family.
He said he met the individual who allegedly donated US$700 million (RM2.8 billion) that was channelled into former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s personal account.
He declined to identify the Saudi royalty whom he met, saying that he would only answer to the MACC.