Forty-two new cases of food poisoning suspected to be due to contaminated laksa purchased at an eatery in Kupang, Baling, have been reported.
This brings the tally to 61 cases with two deaths so far, said Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement.
“The new cases were recorded in Kedah (14 cases), Perak (seven) and Selangor (21), where all were reported to have suffered similar symptoms. The findings showed that symptomatic patients had consumed the laksa sold at the premises in Kupang,” he said.
He added that 21 patients have been warded, while 38 others received outpatient treatment.
“After conducting detailed checks on the premises selling the laksa, we found that the ingredients of the dish were not linked to reports of iceberg lettuce that went viral on social media,” he said, referring to reports of local lettuce that were found to contain high levels of pesticide.
He said the Health Ministry was awaiting the results of food samples sent to the lab, adding that stool samples of patients tested positive for salmonella.