The number of Covid-19 coronavirus deaths in the country rose to 21 as of midday Thursday (March 26) following the death of a 63-year-old man from Kedah.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the patient (Case 1588) was a Malaysian national with a history of chronic illness.
“The patient was one of the participants of the tabligh gathering at Sri Petaling Mosque,” he said in a posting on his official Facebook page today.
“He developed symptoms and underwent screening on March 22.
“Tests showed he was positive for Covid-19 and was admitted to the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Setar on March 23.
“His condition deteriorated when undergoing treatment and he passed away at 4am on March 26,” he said.
On Tuesday, Dr Hisham said that patients with early signs of symptoms should get tested and seek treatment.
He noted that most fatalities had so far been those with underlying health issues who sought treatment only at later stages of infection.
In an earlier posting on his Facebook page, Dr Noor Hisham announced the death of a 76-year-old Malaysian man (Case 780) who had attended the ‘tabligh’ gathering at the Sri Petaling mosque.
“He was treated at Hospital Sultan Ismail Petra, Kuala Krai, Kelantan from March 18. He was pronounced dead at 4.35 pm on March 25,” he said.