Dead Abused Indon Maid: Final Journey Home with 3 Years’ Salary Unpaid

- Advertisement -

The remand of a 60-year-old woman in the fatal abuse of Indonesian maid Adelina Lisao has been extended by seven days, following the expiry of the initial remand today.

  • Family demanding for deceased’s 3 years’ salary
  • Couple arrested in Indonesia for forging maid’s documents, sending her to work illegally in Malaysia
  • Emotional scene at arrival of remains in Indonesia

The woman is the mother of two siblings, aged 36 and 39, who were the employers of 21-year-old Adelina. The duo was detained on Feb 12 on suspicion of abusing her.

According to a report by the Jakarta Post on Feb 17, Adelina’s family claim that she was never paid her salary since beginning her employment in 2015.

“We demand that Adelina’s salary for three years be paid. Don’t justify withholding her salary because she was unregistered.

“The amount of money does not matter. (It) is still her right (to be paid),” said her aunt, Petronela Koa.

The family also claim that two people, believed to be a husband and wife, had allegedly recruited and sent Adelina to work illegally in Malaysia.

The duo has since been detained by local police for forging Adelina’s documents. The papers indicate that Adelina was six years older that her actual age of 17 when she was sent to Penang three years ago.

According to Adelina’s mother Yohana Banunaek, a man had come to their remote village about seven hours’ drive from Kupang offering her daughter a job in Malaysia, but they declined.

“The man came again with all this fake paperwork and the next day we could not find Adelina. We believe she had gone with the man,” Banunaek was quoted as saying.

Yesterday, Adelina’s remains arrived at the El Tari Airport in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, and were taken to her hometown.

Indonesian media reported that anguished relatives were inconsolable upon seeing the coffin.

The body was later transported by road to Adelina’s village in Oenino district, 150 km from Kupang, where her parents were waiting.

Adelina’s family spokesperson Ambrosius Ku said the deceased’s parents were grieving at their home in Ebi village.

“We are saddened that Adelina returned home in this condition,” he was quoted as saying.

The maid was rescued from her employer’s home at Taman Kota Permai, Bukit Mertajam on Feb 11 after it was reported that she was physically abused and made to sleep on the porch with a Rottweiler.

She was found with severe injuries on her head and face, and infected wounds on her hands and legs.

Adelina died the next day at the Seberang Jaya Hospital after suffering multiple organ failure linked to anaemia.

“We do not rule out that the woman was neglected for a long period of time until she died. Everything will be investigated,” Seberang Perai Tengah district police chief Assistant Commissioner Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid said.

The case is being probed under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

Earlier reports:

Feb 15, Suspects Remand Extended, Claims of Animal Bite Scars on Abused Maid

Feb 13, Mother of Siblings Implicated in Abused Maid’s Death Arrested

Feb 12, Maid Forced to Sleep Outside Next to Dog’s Kennel Dies, Two Siblings Detained