Prime Minister (PM) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Tuesday debunked reports that he was stepping down from his post in three years’ time.
Speaking to reporters at an open house organised by Kumpulan Maju on Monday night, Dr Mahathir said that he did not claim he will resign in three years.
This came after an interview with CNBC over the weekend quoting Dr Mahathir that he would not serve as prime minister beyond three years, when asked if he would stay on in office to cut Malaysia’s debt to 54 per cent of the gross domestic product from the 80 per cent at present.
He reportedly said that he only wanted “to correct the work” that is being done.
During the 34th Asean Summit in Bangkok, Dr Mahathir said that he made a promise that he would step down and hand over the reins to PKR President Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
“As far as I’m concerned, I have made a promise that I will step down and that Anwar will succeed me,” he was quoted as saying.
Asked about his meeting with Anwar earlier on Monday, Dr Mahatir said that there was “nothing unusual.”
Dr Mahathir said before the 14th general election last year that he would only be prime minister for two years.
In February, Anwar said he expects to hold the top post after two years, as agreed with Mahathir beforehand.
Anwar had also repeatedly said that he does not doubt that Mahathir would pick him as his successor.
Prior to the 14th general election, Pakatan Harapan component parties had reportedly agreed that if they won, Mahathir would be the premier for two years before handing over the reins to Anwar.