Jamal Fined RM400 After Pleading Guilty for Causing Public Nuisance

- Advertisement -

He also apologised to the court as well as to the public if his actions had caused inconvenience to the public.

Controversial Sungai Besar Umno chief Datuk Seri Jamal Yunos was brought to the magistrate’s court in Shah Alam on Wednesday (July 11) morning amidst heavy police presence.

About 60 of his supporters, mostly elderly women, were also there to lend support to the Umno politician.

Jamal was fined RM400 by the magistrate’s court in Shah Alam on Wednesday (July 11) for causing public nuisance.

The Red Shirts leader pleaded guilty to committing the offence at the exit gate of Pos (1) Darul Ehsan State Government Secretaries building (Bangunan SUK Darul Ehsan) at 10.15am on Oct 5, 2017.

On May 25, Jamal was charged under Section 290 of the Penal Code with breaking bottles of alcohol in public to protest the Better Beer Festival 2017.

He also apologised to the court as well as to the public if his actions had caused inconvenience to the public.

Magistrate Raja Noor Adila Raja Mahyaldin imposed the maximum fine and one month jail in default of payment.

In his appeal for a lower fine, Jamal who addressed the court, said it was not his intention to cause public nuisance.

He added that he had brought along ten crates of beer worth RM1,800 to be smashed in protest of Oktoberfest which was scheduled to be held in Selangor.

Mukhriz Hazim

“What I did may have disturbed people but the intention was for it to be a media gimmick to attract public attention that people in Selangor, especially youngsters, should not easily consume alcohol,” said Jamal.

Jamal said he believed his protest had led to the Oktoberfest event not being held in Selangor and that the police had also revoked the permit given to the organisers.

He said he had every intention to clean up the mess after the protest.

“We had prepared a truck to clean up the place but the NGO members who were with me were told to leave the place immediately and that is why we could not clean up,” he said.

Jamal was arrested while having a haircut in Jakarta on July 2 and had been brought to the Ampang magistrate’s court directly after having been extradited from Indonesia and arriving at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on July 5.

Jamal claimed trial to a charge of fleeing police custody under Section 224 of the Penal Code, which carries a jail term of up to two years, a fine or both.

He was taken to the Sungai Buloh prison as he was denied bail.

He is being investigated for at least five other offences, besides creating public nuisance to protest the Better Beer Festival.

Earlier reports:

Jul 5, Jamal Back in Town

Jul 3, Lawyer Flies to Meet Jamal Who Will Be Extradited Soonest Possible

Jul 2, Jamal Nabbed by Indon Police

Jun 26, Indon Police Know Exactly Where Jamal Is, Will Help Nab Him

Jun 23, Jamal Brags About Evading Police

Jun 4, Jamal Taunts Cops with ‘Catch Me if You Can’ Video

June 5, RM10,000 Bounty for Info on Jamal

June 4, On the Run, Jamal Wants to Run for Umno Youth Chief

Jun 2, Muhyiddin Regrets Cops’ ‘Negligence’ over Jamal Fleeing

May 31, Calls to Arrest Jamal Now

May 30, Fearing Arrest, ‘Victimised’ Fugitive Jamal Seeks Refuge

May 29, Jamal Says Will Turn Himself in Tomorrow

May 27, Jamal Yunos Emerges

May 26, Wanted: Jamal Yunos

May 25, Jamal Charged in Hospital for Smashing Beer Bottles

May 22, Jamal Arrested over Firearms Offence