To avoid embarrassment to Council, and personal views to be in conflict with that of the Council.
Former New Straits Times Press editor-in-chief A Kadir Jasin has resigned as the communications chief of Putrajaya’s Council of Eminent Persons, saying he did not want his personal views to be in conflict with that of the Council.
This comes after Inspector-General of Police Mohamad Fuzi Harun confirmed that Kadir is being investigated for defamation over a blog post claiming that RM256.9 million had been allocated for use by Sultan Muhammad V in the 16 months since he became the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
The Bersatu supreme council member did not state his source of information.
“To avoid embarrassment to the Council and any possible conflict of interest on my part, I offered my resignation and it was accepted by the Chairman, Daim Zainuddin,” he said in a blog posting today.
Kadir said his decision to quit the post as head of media and communications in the Council was “to avoid further confusion among members of the public regarding my role in the Council”.
He said he had always maintained that the views he expressed in his blog and as a columnist in a Malay daily were not representative of the Council.
“I have been diligently stating in the preamble of my blog post that whatever views expressed therein were entirely mine.
“I was writing in my personal capacity as a blogger and had nothing to do whatsoever with whatever position I might hold,” he said, adding that he would continue to speak out “with the nip of my pen”.
His blog post was also criticised by PKR adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who said, “While I support democracy and freedom of expression, what was said was inappropriate.”
Anwar said that there should be some decorum when expressing views, as those singled out for criticism were unable to clarify such opinions.
“We have worked very hard to get the Malay Rulers to appreciate this new administration” and this was unhealthy,” he told reporters on Wednesday (June 6).