MACC Arrests Penang Exco Phee Boon Poh in Illegal Factory Probe


Sungai Puyu assemblyman detained after having his statement taken at MACC office.

Chronology of events:

Aug 10

  • MACC raided Seberang Prai Municipal Council, seizing documents related to illegal factory
  • MACC, Immigration Dept, DOE, IRB jointly raided factory

Aug 11

  • 11.30am – MACC raided Phee’s office, seizing documents
  • 2.40pm – Phee arrived at MACC office, arrested after giving statement
  • 5pm – Phee arrived home to pack some personal belongings
  • 7.05pm – Phee and MACC officers left the house

Aug 12

  •  Phee to be taken to court to be remanded

Penang executive councillor Phee Boon Poh has been detained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over investigations related to an illegal carbon filter factory in Kampung Sungai Lembu.

Yesterday, MACC officers raided the Seberang Prai Municipal Council’s licensing department, seized documents believed to be related to the Kampung Sungai Lembu factory.

Along with the Immigration Department, Department of Environment (DOE) and Inland Revenue Board (IRB), the MACC also raided the factory, following complaints from villagers who feared noxious fumes from the factory could affect their health.

The factory allegedly has flouted many federal regulations, including not having a proper air pollution control system.

The carbon filter-processing factory has been operating on agricultural land inside an oil palm estate for more than 10 years.

At 11.30am today, MACC officers raided Phee’s office on the 53rd floor of Komtar and left two hours later with suitcases of documents.

At 2.40pm, Phee arrived at the MACC office where he was later detained.

Lawyer RSN Rayer, who had accompanied Phee, said he was “mystified” why his client was arrested when he voluntarily went to the MACC office to have his statement taken.

“While his statement was being taken, we were told that Putrajaya ordered him to be placed under arrest.

“We were not told why he was placed under arrest,” Rayer said.

“I have personally pleaded to the officers to let him go after questioning tonight. They said they will consider,” he added.

Phee was allowed to go home to pack some personal belongings. He arrived at his house in a newly-completed gated community at about 5pm in his MPV, escorted by two MACC vehicles. They left at about 7.05pm.

He would be taken to court tomorrow morning to be remanded.

Phee, who is the Sungai Puyu assemblyman, was previously arrested for being part of the Voluntary Patrol Squad or PPS, which was outlawed by the Home Ministry. No charges were made against him or about 160 PPS members who were stopped while participating in a Merdeka march-past in 2014.


  1. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to
    and you are just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here,
    really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible.

    I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific web site.

  2. Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google even as searching
    for a similar matter, your web site came up, it looks great.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hello there, simply changed into alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really
    informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels.
    I’ll be grateful in the event you proceed this in future.
    Numerous folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

  3. Hello there! This article couldn’t be written much
    better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

    He continually kept talking about this. I’ll forward this post to him.
    Fairly certain he’ll have a very good read. Thank you for sharing!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here