Maid Forced to Sleep Outside Next to Dog’s Kennel Dies, Two Siblings Detained

- Advertisement -

So traumatised was an allegedly abused maid that she did not respond to rescuers.

  • Swollen head, bruises on face, burns on limbs
  • Maid slept on car porch with Rottweiler for over a month
  • Neighbours heard loud screaming every other day

Two siblings were detained in an investigation into the alleged abuse of an Indonesian maid after a police report was lodged in Taman Kota Permai 2, Bukit Mertajam, on Saturday

Seberang Prai Tengah district police chief Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid said the 39-year-old man and 36-year-old woman were held after they went to the SPT district police headquarters to record their statements at 8pm on Feb 10.

“The 21-year-old victim from Indonesia, suffered bruises on the head and face, and wounds on her hand as well as left and right legs.

“Attempts to record statements from her were unsuccessful as she was still in fear.

“We sent her to Bukit Mertajam Hospital where she died,” he said.

The maid died at 4.45pm on Sunday. The cause of death has yet to be determined.

Nik Ros said police received a report on the matter from a man who is an assistant to Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim.

He said the man had been made aware of the incident from his acquaintance before going to the maid’s employer’s house to see the victim’s condition for himself.

Nik Ros said preliminary investigations found that the maid, who goes by the single name of Adelina, had been working at her employer’s home for the past two years, however, she was afraid to give further details.

“Police are conducting further investigations, including who had abused the victim, and since when,” he said.

The siblings have been remanded until Feb 14 for investigation under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

A day before she died, Adelina sat on the porch, too terrified to respond to rescuers who were checking on her condition at a double-storey semi-detached house on Saturday at 4pm after being alerted by a journalist.

One of them, Por Cheng Han, 29, said neighbours told them that Adelina was abused for over a month and made to sleep with a Rottweiler on the car porch, The Star reported.

Neighbours also claimed loud screaming was common every other day.

Suspecting something was amiss, a neighbour contacted a journalist, who in turn alerted Sim’s office.

“We arrived and saw her on the porch. She did not respond to us and just shook her head.

“We spoke to the neighbours, who told us they often heard the employer scolding her loudly from inside the house,” he was quoted saying.

He said he saw pus on what appeared to be burn marks on the maid’s legs.

According to Por, there was a woman in her 60s at the house when they arrived but she refused to send the maid to the hospital and told them to mind their own business.

He was also given the phone number of the woman’s daughter – the maid’s employer – who denied abusing the maid and told them to wait for her to return.

Por said they then contacted Tenaganita, an NGO dedicated to protecting migrants from abuse.

When the employer returned, she said that she had not mistreated the maid but admitted to having slapped her in the past.

She allegedly told Por that she had bought a cleaning chemical after the maid defecated in the kitchen’s drain hole and clogged it up.

“She claimed that the maid had accidentally spilt the chemical on her legs and arms when pouring this into the drain hole, causing chemical burns, and that despite being provided with medication, she did not stop picking at her wounds, making them worse,” Por was quoted saying.

Before Tenaganita volunteers could arrive, the employer bundled Adelina into her car and drove out of the house.

Por then called the police.