Man in Viral Video Raping, Robbing Puchong Cyber Cafe Worker Jailed 10 Years

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

In the case of a rape and robbery at a cyber cafe in Puchong last year where two men were captured on CCTV carrying out the crime, one of the accused was sentenced to jail while his accomplice had earlier died while trying to escape from police.

A mechanic was sentenced to 10 years’ jail with two strokes of the rotan by the Sessions Court on March 22 for committing rape, unnatural sex, molestation and gang robbery at a cyber cafe in Bandar Kinrara, Puchong.

Disturbing CCTV footage showing two men taking turns to rape the outlet’s female attendant spread on social media, along with photos of the two suspects.

Judge Norshila Kamaruddin sentenced B Sugidran, 26, after he changed his plea to guilty to the five charges before the trial on the first day of the case on Thursday.

He was sentenced to 10 years’ jail and a stroke of the rotan for rape and unnatural sex respectively, and five years’ jail for the molestation charge. He was handed 10 years’ jail for each of the two counts of robbery.

Sugidran will be jailed for 10 years after the court ordered the sentences to run concurrently from the date of his arrest on May 14, 2017.

The accused raped, molested and sexually abused an Indonesian woman, aged 33, manning the counter at the cyber cafe at 10am, on May 11, last year.

He also robbed the victim and her colleague, a 34-year-old Bangladeshi man of RM300 and RM400.

Earlier, deputy public prosecutor VV Suloshani had urged the court to mete out a jail sentence to serve as a deterrent against the accused and to impose separate jail sentences for the five charges to teach him a lesson.

However, the accused, who was unrepresented, appealed for a lighter sentence on the grounds that he was the only son and had to take care of his mother and three younger sisters.

“I am married and have two children, but I don’t know my wife’s whereabouts until now…I regret my actions,” said the man.

The other suspect in the case fell to his death in an attempt to flee police on May 18 last year.

The 22-year-old man plunged 12 floors to his death at a flat at the PPR Seri Semarak.

Related report: May 19, Suspect in Puchong Rape-Robbery Dies in 12th Floor Fall