Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz says he will not be at the Barisan Nasional supreme council meeting slated for Friday (March 8) to ensure that MCA and MIC will attend.
Nazri said he wanted to attend the meeting to discuss issues surrounding his appointment as Barisan secretary-general but decided against it as MCA and MIC had said that they would not show up if he was there.
“I will not attend to ensure that the meeting is held,” he announced at a press conference on Wednesday (March 6).
Nazri said MCA had made a resolution during its annual general assembly last year to push for Barisan’s dissolution and to forge a new alliance.
“I also want this meeting to be held as I want MCA and MIC to raise the issue of my appointment so that it can be formally discussed and I can be asked to resign,” he said.
On Monday (March 4), MCA and MIC declared their intention to forge a new alliance, with both parties blaming racial remarks by Nazri at the recent Semenyih by-election for further straining ties in the troubled Barisan.
On Tuesday (March 5), MCA and MIC issued a joint statement saying they were opposed to Nazri attending the upcoming Barisan supreme council meeting to discuss the future of the coalition.
They also said Nazri’s appointment as Barisan secretary-general was unconstitutional and was never formally discussed with the coalition’s supreme council.
Nazri said he would not be resigning from his post as Barisan secretary-general, as it would give the impression that he was abandoning his multiracial political stance.
However, he said the decision on whether he should remain in his post was up to the Barisan leadership.
“I don’t want people to think just because I support the union between Umno and PAS that I have abandoned Barisan.
“(But) to support the Umno-Pas union and at the same time to be the secretary-general of Barisan which is multiracial – that is inconsistent.
“I don’t mind being pushed out,” he said.
Nazri added that the position of BN secretary-general was vacant for six months before former Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin was offered it. However, Khairy rejected the offer.
“When Zahid offered the position to me, I took it. Every MIC rep cheered for me when Zahid made the announcement but after four months, they claim they weren’t invited for a discussion,” he said.
On a separate matter, Nazri apologised to PAS supporters and the Malays for previously objecting to the Umno-PAS alliance.
“I support the Umno-PAS partnership. When I last said that we (BN) should not work with PAS, BN members were of different races. I have changed my mind,” he added.
He said he was confident PAS would protect the rights of the minorities and that a “divorce” should not happen to the two parties to ensure the survival of Umno and PAS.
Related report: Mar 4, BN Component Parties on the Brink of Parting Ways