PKR convention director Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad is expected to give a statement soon on the status of Sarawak’s PKR convention.
PKR communications director Fahmi Fadzil said the matter was brought up during the PKR’s political bureau meeting held in Parliament last night.
Among those who attended the meeting were PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, vice-president Datuk Dr Xavier Jayakumar, advisory council chairman Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, advisory council deputy chairman Dr Syed Husin Ali, secretary-general Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail and youth chief Akmal Nasir.
Sarawak PKR chairman Baru Bian had recently said that a decision to cancel its convention would be maintained.
Yesterday, Baru in a press conference said 32 out of the 46 state leadership council members had agreed to the decision not to hold the convention.
He said that the collective decision was not intended to be a threat, but a positive measure to reconcile and resolve the problem in the party.
Baru said the state leaders were disappointed with the national leaders who they said had dishonoured a gentlemen’s agreement that Sarawak and Sabah PKR would enjoy autonomy in all state matters.
Last week, Sarawak PKR announced that the state convention would be cancelled, following the party’s move to revoke Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali’s invitation to open the PKR Youth National Congress slated on Dec 6.
However, Nik Nazmi had previously said that the state convention would proceed as planned in Miri. – NST