Salahuddin Thought Calf Carcass, Death Threat a Prank

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

A carcass of a calf, together with a death threat, was delivered to Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Salahuddin Ayub on Sunday (Dec 2).

He initially thought it was just a prank.

However, he only realised the seriousness of the situation when police told him that they were investigating the case.

“When I arrived at the scene, my first reaction was thinking that someone was just playing around, and I was hoping that it won’t be prolonged.

“But yesterday (Dec 5), the police told me that this was a serious case, as a Minister had been threatened and I understand that the case is being investigated under Section 507 of the Penal Code,” Salahuddin told reporters at the Parliament lobby on Thursday (Dec 6).

Section 507 deals with criminal intimidation by an anonymous communication.

In the incident, the carcass and note were sent to him at the Parti Amanah Negara service centre in Simpang Jeram in Muar, Johor on Sunday (Dec 2).

Salahuddin said he had no idea why he was being targeted.

He also revealed that a suspect had been remanded at the Muar district police headquarters but that he did not know who the suspect is.

“I don’t know him. I don’t even recognise his name.

“Most importantly, I want to know the real motive. I don’t have any enemies, I don’t fight with people. I have never started a fight but I suddenly received a death threat,” said Salahuddin, who is also Amanah deputy president.

Media reports quoting Johor Criminal Investigation Department head SAC Kamaluddin Kassim said initial investigations found that the suspect in his 40s was unhappy because Salahuddin had previously rejected his application for aid.

Responding to this, Salahuddin said: “Every time I return to Simpang Jeram, I receive many applications and I’m unsure if he is one of them or not.”

The Kulai MP said he was unshaken by the threat.

“I don’t feel any fear of trauma. So far I feel that I can still talk and work like normal. I didn’t take any day off work, I’m still working as usual,” he said.

Salahuddin, who gave his statement to the authorities at the Muar district police headquarters on Wednesday (Dec 5), said he would leave it up to the police to investigate.