The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) has agreed to initiate an inquiry into the conduct of the police in tracking down M Indira Gandhi’s daughter Prasana Diksa, who was taken away by her father since 2009.
The decision was made following a meeting between Indira Gandhi Action Team (Ingat) chairman Arun Doraisamy and Suhakam commissioner Jerald Joseph at the commission’s headquarters in Menara TH Perdana on Friday (Sept 20).
“We are happy to announce that Suhakam has agreed to start immediate inquiry to investigate the conduct of the police in the handling of Indira’s case.
“We have also asked Suhakam to help us recommend that our case be classified under ‘missing child’ with the police,” said Arun, who was present with Indira, during a press conference.
Arun said it has been 156 days since the special task force to track down Prasana was formed by the police.
He also said the group has been seeking an appointment with Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador since June but has yet to meet him.
He said the group wants to raise several issues regarding investigations over the case.
“I really hope the IGP will take this case seriously and we would like to meet him as soon as possible.
“We also are happy and thankful to Suhakam for granting us what we wanted – an inquiry,” Arun added.
A task force to locate Prasana was formed by the police on April 20, following a memorandum by Ingat to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad on April 1.
Riduan, who was known as K Padmanathan before he converted to Islam, took Prasana from Indira Gandhi when she was just 11 months old.
The other two children, Tevi Darshiny, then 13, and Karan Dinesh, then 12, remained with their mother.
Previously, Ingat had offered an RM10,000 reward for anyone providing information leading to the arrest of Riduan.
Police have yet to locate Ridhuan, despite an arrest warrant issued by the High Court in 2014.
In 2018, the Federal Court unanimously declared that the unilateral conversion of the children was null and void.
In March 2019, former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Fuzi Harun had said that there were no indications that Riduan and Prasana had gone overseas, adding that there were no leads to work with.
He also noted that there were illegal means by which the duo could access in leaving the country. – The Star