Former Youth and Sports minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman has denied news reports alleging RM250,000 cash stolen from a safe in his house belonged to Bersatu.
In a statement today, the Muar MP said the value of sum missing has yet to be determined.
“As for now, I cannot confirm anything until the investigation is completed. Media reports saying that the RM250,000 belonged to Bersatu is not true and the exact amount is still unclear.
“I hope that all parties will refrain from making speculations and from spreading unverified news to the masses,” said Syed Saddiq in a statement today.
He then demanded a retraction and apology from TV3 over its report titled “RM250,000 duit milik PPBM hilang dari kediaman Syed Saddiq (RM250,000 in PPBM funds missing from Syed Saddiq’s home)”.
Syed Saddiq said the report undermined his credibility as a party leader and has caused him to be slandered by third parties.
He lodged a report at Sungai Way police station, Petaling Jaya, last night.
Syed Saddiq shared a copy of the police report he lodged, in which he stated that he only noticed the missing cash around 7pm last Saturday.
The report described the condition of the crime scene left behind as neat, with no obvious signs of forced entry or prying on the steel safe box.
“The last time I opened the safe box was on either March 13 or 14.
“My safe box has a secret code, and there are only a few selected people who know where I keep it,” Syed Saddiq said in the report.
Syed Saddiq said a police forensic unit had already gone to his house to conduct investigation.
However, despite denying knowledge of the exact figure, the police report stated the amount of money missing was RM250,000.
It was reported that Petaling Jaya police chief Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal said a maid had been detained as part of the investigation.
He said the case was being investigated under Section 380 of the Penal Code for theft from a dwelling.