Prosecution Applies for ‘In-Camera’ Proceedings in Ex-MEIO DG Trial

43
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The prosecution in the former Malaysian External Intelligence Organisation (MEIO) director-general Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid’s criminal breach of trust (CBT) case will apply for the proceedings to be heard ‘in-camera’.

Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Iskandar Ahmad said the prosecution decided to apply for ‘in-camera proceedings’ for several witnesses due to national security issues.

“As of today, we have submitted 22 additional documents to the defence team, but we would like the court to fix a new date for us to file our application (for in-camera proceedings) as soon as possible.

“We also asked the court to maintain the hearing proceedings, which are expected to commence on Oct 5,” he said before High Court judge Datuk Ahmad Shahrir Mohd Salleh today.

When met after the proceedings, Iskandar said about 15 prosecution witnesses would testify ‘in-camera’ during the proceedings.

In-camera proceedings are trials where the public and press are not allowed to observe the procedure or process.

Meanwhile, Hasanah’s counsel, Hamdan Hamzah, concurred that he had received the documents.

“We also asked the court to fix ample time for us to review the prosecution’s application for the in-camera proceedings,” he said.

The court fixed Oct 5 to hear the application.

Seth Akmal/TMI

On Oct 25 last year, Hasanah, who was the director-general of the Research Division of the Prime Minister’s Department, was alleged to have committed CBT by misappropriating US$12.1 million (RM50.4 million) in funds belonging to the government.

Hasanah was alleged to have done so between April 30 and May 9 at her office in the Prime Minister’s Department Complex in Putrajaya.

The charge, under Section 409 of the Penal Code, carries a maximum jail term of 20 years and whipping and fine, upon conviction.

She was released on RM500,000 bail. – NST