Cops Question PKR Youth Sec, Detain Six over Brawl at PKR Youth Congress

300
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Police have questioned PKR Youth secretary Ahmad Syukri Che Ab Razak over the fighting at the wing’s congress on Friday.

Syukri said he was questioned over the “riot” at the Malacca police headquarters in Bukit Beruang from 2pm to 4pm.

Koh Jun Lin/Malaysiakini

The initial fighting was after several PKR members, including former PKR Youth permanent chairperson Mizan Adli Mohd Noor, were barred from entering the hall where the meeting was being held.

In his press statement, he said that some of the scuffles were because some PKR members failed to comply with a dress code, requiring them to wear baju melayu to the meeting.

However, it was observed that day that groups of youths in black t-shirts were let into the hall as observers.

Dissatisfaction with the black-clad youths is believed to be the cause of the most intense round of fighting at noon on Friday.

Ahmad Zamzahuri

It was reported that several of the youths in black said they were promised payment for attending the congress.

According to Syukri, police did not question him about the black-clad youths.

In his statement, Syukri said he and a few others had also lodged a police report over a chat screenshot involving a PKR leader, which allegedly showed an attempt to hire “certain groups to provoke trouble at the congress”.

While he mentioned no names, this is believed to be a clear reference to PKR Youth deputy chief Hilman Idham.

A screenshot had alleged that Hilman had wanted to hire some 30 people as security for the PKR Youth congress.

The PKR Youth deputy chief denied this, saying he was not an organiser and thus, had no need to appoint security.

“What do I want to hire the security team for? We are the government of the day. We could get assistance from Rela or police to help,” Hilman was quoted s saying.

Meanwhile, the Melaka Police have detained six men to assist in investigations into the brawl.

State Police chief Datuk Mat Kasim Karim said the men, aged between 19 and 30, were picked up in stages from Dec 6 until yesterday.

He said the case is being investigated under Section 148 of the Penal Code.

“The six men are among 14 individuals identified so far to assist in the investigations into the brawl involving two groups from the same party and all of them have been released on bail after their statements were recorded.

“We initially detained two men who were members of the party from Kuala Lumpur and Klang and then another one from Banting. Three more party members were detained as a result of our intelligence,” he told a press conference here today.

Mat Kasim said eight more individuals, who had been identified and their photographs had been distributed before, were urged to come forward to the Melaka Police Contingent headquarters to have their statements recorded.

He said 15 witnesses, including members of the party, have been asked to give statements to the police on the incident and five reports had been received so far.