FT minister now says approved concerts can go on

3214
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Concerts by international artistes which have received approval from the authorities will proceed as planned, Federal Territories Minister Shahidan Kassim said, in an apparent U-turn on the matter.

He said concerts that have yet to be approved will be reviewed for compatibility for Malaysian culture.

He said international performances must not only be entertaining but promote positive values.

“So, in future, we will hold discussions to ensure all events are beneficial for the people,” he said in his speech during an event at the Royal Floria Putrajaya today.

Samuel Ong/The Star

On Sunday, Shahidan said City Hall will review approvals for concerts to ensure their suitability.

Last month, PAS’ youth wing threatened to take to the streets for nationwide protests if Putrajaya continues to allow international concerts in the country.

The wing’s chief, Ahmad Fadhli Shaari, said concerts spread a “culture of hedonism” and go against “the norms and values of Muslim life” in Malaysia.

“On behalf of PAS youth, I sincerely hope that the government, through the relevant ministers, will consider cancelling and withdrawing permission for these concerts.”

“The timing is inappropriate and the values they bring are contrary to Islam as the federal religion,” he said in a Facebook post

Shahidan also said events should boost the economy.

“If we spend on local talent, it is Malaysians who will benefit.”

“But if we spend on outsiders, this is not so beneficial for us,” he added. – TMI