KLIA shooting victim in critical condition, manhunt for suspect

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Shooter believed to be still in Malaysia.

“I am still in shock and did not expect this to happen in the month of Syawal,” says the wife of a bodyguard who was seriously injured in the shooting incident at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport Terminal 1 (KLIA 1) early this morning.

Siti Noraida, 28, said that as soon as she received information about the incident at 2 am, she rushed to Cyberjaya Hospital, where her husband received treatment.

“The hospital informed me that my husband’s condition is critical, and he needs to be intubated. I was also told there was severe bleeding, and when he arrived at the hospital, he had difficulty breathing. However, no vital organs were hit,” she said.

The full-time housewife and mother of three said her husband was assigned as a part-time bodyguard before the month of Ramadan.

Earlier, Selangor police chief Datuk Hussein Omar Khan confirmed a shooting incident at the KLIA 1 early this morning involving a male suspect who was believed to have fled to the north.

He said the incident stemmed from a personal issue and was unrelated to terrorist activities or groups.

Police earlier released the identity and photographs of the man wanted for firing a gun inside the arrival hall of KLIA’s Terminal 1 at about 1.30am that struck a woman and another man, severely injuring the latter.


The suspected shooter who fled the scene was named as Hafizul Harawi, 38.

The shooting incident, some of it caught on video by bystanders, had sparked concerns about KLIA’s security standards now under intense public scrutiny. Malaysia has very strict gun laws and gun-related crimes are very rare, which raises questions as to how the suspect had managed to acquire a gun.

Police said the suspect had three past complaints filed against him by his wife dating back to 2016 and the latest last December.

The suspect had been investigated previously for criminal intimidation, theft, and pretending to be a civil official.

The case is being investigated as attempted murder under Section 307 of the Penal Code as police investigations showed the suspect was targeting his wife who was waiting for the arrival of an umrah group at the airport.

One of the wife’s two bodyguards who was shot in the abdomen is in critical condition.

The case is also being investigated under Section 8 of the Firearms Act 1960 for unlawful possession of a weapon punishable with jail up to a maximum 14 years, and no fewer than six strokes of the rotan.

The firearm used by the suspect is believed to be a 9mm semiautomatic, obtained from a neighbouring country.

Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Razarudin Husain said checks at the scene turned up three cartridges, with one of them having failed to fire.

Police said the gunman was believed to be aiming at his wife, who is also his business partner.

The gunman had fired two shots, with one of them hitting the woman’s bodyguard.

The suspect then fled the scene.

Police have embarked on a nationwide manhunt for the suspect who is still believed to be in the country.