Media allege senior cop given ‘special treatment’ during court appearance

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Media practitioners are claiming that the senior police officer who was charged with the murder of a 17-year-old student was given special treatment, allowing him to bypass the crowd of journalists and video crews.

According to The Star, the media was surprised when Deputy Supt Mohd Nazri Abdul Razak entered the Magistrates’ Court from another route that allowing him to escape the media’s attention.

The daily reported that Nazri was surrounded by a heavy police presence that obstructed the media from getting clear shots of the accused.

The New Straits Times reported that the situation was markedly different from other murder cases, where the media were allowed to easily record and photograph the arrival of the suspects at the complex.

Additionally, only a Bernama photographer and one Astro Awani videographer were allowed to obtain visuals, with Nazri being allowed to put a piece of black cloth over his head.


Only one representative from each media organisation was allowed in the courtroom to cover the proceedings, which only took about five minutes.

Nazri was then ushered into a heavily tinted four-wheel drive escorted by four other vehicles.

No plea was recorded when the charge was read out before Magistrate S Punitha, as the case is under the jurisdiction of the High Court.

Nazri is accused of causing the death of Muhammad Zaharif Affendi Muhd Zamrie, 17, near Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Jati between 12.05pm and 12.40pm on Dec 15.

He was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code, which carries the death sentence or imprisonment of between 30 and 40 years, and not less than 12 strokes of the cane.

No bail was offered and the court set Feb 7, 2024, for the case mention pending several relevant reports, including the chemist’s report.

On Dec 15, Nazri allegedly rammed a car into Zaharif, who was riding a motorcycle, and dragged him for some distance at Jalan Taman Jati near SMK Jati in Meru, Ipoh.

The schoolboy died at the scene due to severe injuries to his chest and abdomen.

Earlier, several relatives of the victim gathered at the Ipoh Lower Courts premises.

They included Zaharif’s uncles.

One of them, Abdul Razak Judin, when approached, said they want to face the 44-year-old senior police officer, who will be charged at the Magistrate Court for murder on Monday (Dec 18).

“We are sad over his death and we are ready to face the perpetrator,” said the 48-year-old.

Also present were two of the deceased’s other uncles, Mohd Nizam Abdullah, 43, and Ahmad Faizal Jaafar, 47.

On Sunday (Dec 17), Attorney General Datuk Ahmad Terrirudin Salleh said in a press statement that there was sufficient evidence to charge the police officer with murder.

The senior police officer, a Deputy Supt stationed at the Kedah police headquarters, was arrested on Friday (Dec 15).