PKR president Anwar Ibrahim wants those involved in the scuffle that took place during the youth congress today to be sacked.
“Such rude acts cannot be left without any strict action. Hence, I have asked the party’s disciplinary board to sack those who are responsible for it.
“I’m also asking for the police to investigate and take appropriate action,” said Anwar in a statement.
The PKR president warned yesterday that those causing trouble at the party’s congress would be dealt with harshly and said today he would not tolerate such incivility.
The PKR Youth congress was interrupted repeatedly this morning when a group of members tried to smuggle in sacked permanent chairman Mizan Adli Md Noor into the event, clashing with those trying to stop them.
Mizan was sacked just ahead of the congress and previously insisted he must attend to open the assembly.
Despite the apparent truce between rival factions in the party, there appeared to be two camps that dressed according to their affiliations.
The first commotion involved former PKR Youth permanent chairperson Mizan Adli Mohd Noor who was barred from entering the venue.
Security personnel had stopped him and his entourage because they did not carry the proper credentials. This led to scuffles.
PKR Youth leader Akmal Nasir defended the decision because Mizan was already above the 35-year age limit and therefore did not qualify as a wing member.
Another clash occurred between party members and a mysterious group clad in black t-shirts. This incident happened during the lunch break and involved fisticuffs.
The black-clad group were sitting at the back of the meeting room throughout the morning. The group of some 200 seemingly juvenile “members” claimed that they were not Youth member delegates or invited guests.
The commotion spilt out to the streets as the two factions engaged in a brawl which left at least one person in need of medical attention.
One of the members was hit with a rock which was thrown in the melee, causing him to suffer a cut to his head.
Police officers then intervened in the situation and separated the two groups. They also took the injured man to receive medical treatment.
Meanwhile, members of the press were threatened by some of the brawlers and warned against taking footage of the scuffle.
Youth chief Akmal Nasrullah Mohd Nasir, when quizzed on the matter, told reporters that he did not know the identity of the group.
“I don’t know who they are.
“(But) only legitimate delegates are allowed in the hall.”
Asked whether those in black T-shirts were delegates, Akmal said: “I don’t know. I have to check.
“We have many kinds of uniforms.
“Some wear baju Melayu, some divisions have their own uniforms.”
Earlier, the PKR Youth secretariat said that only those with official passes were allowed in. The youths in black did not have passes.
It was reported that one of the black-clad youths told Malaysiakini before the fighting broke out that they were brought to the place in buses, but they did not know about the congress.
“We were told there was a reformasi (event),” said Danial Iskandar, 21.
Asked if he was paid, he replied: “Not yet, but after this is over, I think (we’ll get paid). There are three days, I believe.”
Earlier report: Dec 6, Chaotic Start to PKR Youth Congress