AGC Files Motion Again to Postpone Najib’s 1MDB Trial Until After SRC Case Ends

420
- Advertisement -

Public prosecutors made another attempt today to postpone the start of Najib’s 1MDB corruption trial until his ongoing case over the misappropriation of RM42 million from SRC is over.

FMT

The prosecution team in the case against Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on the alleged misappropriation of SRC International Sdn Bhd’s funds amounting to RM42 million, today filed a motion for another trial against the former prime minister relating to 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) to be postponed.

The notice of motion was filed by the Public Prosecutor as the applicant, at the High Court Registrar’s Office today, naming Najib as a respondent.

Accompanying the notice was an affidavit by Deputy Public Prosecutor, Budiman Lutfi Mohamed.

In his affidavit, Budiman said that it would be in the best interest of all parties, including witnesses subpoenaed to attend the SRC trial, that the trial continues without any more adjournments.

“It is in the public interest that cases involving the former prime minister be disposed of expeditiously.

“It would be against public interest and prejudicial to the defence of the accused to have multiple trials involving him proceed on a part-heard basis as this would result in an unnecessary delay in all the trials,” he said.

Budiman said the SRC case trial which had begun on April 3 was scheduled to take place until August 15 before Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali, and as of now, the prosecution had called 45 prosecution witnesses to testify, while it intended to call another 20 witnesses, subject to the dynamic change in circumstances.

“For the purpose of the trial planning, it is impossible for the SRC case trial to be completed within the deadline set on August 15. It is, therefore, appropriate to file this application (for postponement of the 1MDB case),” he said.

“Any postponement will not be indefinite or open-ended. It will only be until the SRC International trial is completed with the giving of a judgement.

“It does not have to be postponed pending any appeals,” he said in the affidavit.

Budiman said during the SRC case trial on July 3, the prosecution team had informed of its intent to postpone the 1MDB case trial, and there were no objections from the defence.

“Judge Mohd Nazlan informed that he had no objection to proceed with the SRC case trial on the dates scheduled for the 1MDB trial, provided Judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah (who is hearing the 1MDB case) agrees to postpone that trial,” he said in the affidavit.

The High Court registry fixed July 18 for Sequerah to hear the motion filed today.

Sequerah had on Monday rejected the A-G’s request for the 1MDB trial to be postponed to make way for the SRC International case to be completed.

He denied the request after noting that the 1MDB trial had been postponed three times before.

He then ordered the trial to begin on the previously fixed dates of Aug 19 until Aug 29 and resume on Sept 2 until Nov 14 except Fridays.