Cop Tells Inquest to Subpoena IGP for Claiming Adib Assaulted

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Police officer says Fuzi should explain his “Adib beaten” statement.

A senior police officer told an inquest into the death of Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim that he did not know how Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohamad Fuzi Harun could know the fireman had been beaten by rioters instead of being hit by a truck.

Investigation officer assistant superintendent Lew Keng Joe said the statement by Fuzi, made in late November last year after riots at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple, were “unhelpful” to the probe.

Lew said he was not sure how the IGP could have come to the conclusion that Adib was beaten.

“I am aware of the statement made by the IGP but it didn’t help much with the probe. I do not know how the IGP can make that claim.


“I think he interviewed some people at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre so he came up with what he had said,” Lew told the inquest that was held in Shah Alam today.

Asked by the conducting officer to explain how the police chief came to make that statement, Lew said, “You want me to record the IGP’s statement? Maybe you should subpoena the IGP and ask him.”

Fuzi had denied on November 29 last year that Adib was injured when a Fire and Rescue Department vehicle reversed into him after a video allegedly of the incident surfaced.

He had told reporters that Fire and Rescue director-general Datuk Mohamad Hamdan Wahid had also clarified that it was not Adib in the video.

When asked if it was confirmed Adib had been assaulted, Fuzi had answered: “If he was not assaulted, how would he be in such a critical condition with so much injuries on him?”

Ahmad Zamzahuri

Lew said not one witness had told the police that they saw Adib being attacked by rioters.

“I was not informed by any witness that Adib was beaten. They claim they heard about a fireman being beaten, but no one said to me that they saw him (Adib) beaten.”

He also said the four men arrested after the riots were released after investigations showed that they were not involved in attacking Adib.

“They were arrested in Jasin, Malacca. After interrogating them, we found that they were not involved in the attack and were released.”