Driver drove LRT in wrong direction

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Underground collision between two LRT trains at KLCC last night was caused by human error.

Preliminary findings into the cause of the LRT collision in the underground tunnel between the KLCC and Kampung Baru stations last night revealed an element of “negligence” by the driver in manually controlling one of the trains, according to Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong.

He said that the test-drive but empty carriage, identified as TR40, was supposed to travel South-bound towards the Dang Wangi station, but had instead gone in the opposite direction and towards the passenger-laden coach TR81 that was static at the KLCC station.

“Preliminary investigations found the accident was due to negligence of the hostler (manually) driving TR240 in the wrong direction.


“TR240 was supposed to move in a south-bound direction towards Dang Wangi but had instead moved north-bound, a different orientation that led to the collision with TR181,” said Wee.

The Gombak-bound TR181 from KLCC had 213 passengers while TR240 was empty, with only the driver and an operator.

“This is the preliminary findings submitted to me by the Land Public Transport Agency,” Wee said during an online press conference today.

Firdaus Latif

By 9.23pm, Wee said all passengers were safely extracted, and either given immediate medical assistance or rushed to Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL).

Hasnoor Hussain/TMI

He added that 21 passengers are still receiving treatment at Kuala Lumpur Hospital, while six victims are in critical condition.

Firdaus Latif

Fifteen passengers are still in a semi-critical condition, while 43 victims had been given outpatient treatment from an initial total of 64 persons who were brought to the hospital.

“Prasarana Malaysia Bhd will bear all medical treatment costs of the victims, including follow-up treatment and compensate for the loss of income,” Wee said.

He also said a special nine-member investigation committee has been formed by the Transport Ministry to probe into the incident.

It is led by the ministry’s secretary-general Datuk Isham Ishak with deputy secretary-general Normah Osman as second in command.