Home Minister: 12 New Suspects in Adib’s Case, May Launch New Inquest

54
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The police have two new recommendations linked to the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim during a riot at a Hindu temple in Seafield, Selangor nearly two years ago, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainuddin announced today.

He disclosed that the police have 12 new suspects whom they are recommending to be charged with rioting under Section 143 of the Penal Code.

Hamzah told the Dewan Rakyat that police had submitted investigation papers to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on July 23 with these recommendations.

“Two proposals were made. One, to charge 12 suspects under Section 143 of the Penal Code with rioting and attacking the fire department officers.

Farhan Najib

“Secondly, to redo an inquest if agreed by the AGC under Section 399 (2) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC),” Hamzah said in the Dewan Rakyat today during his wind-up speech in debating the King’s royal address.

Police resumed investigations into Adib’s death following the inquest, which ruled on September 27 last year that the 24-year-old’s death was not caused by an accident, but by a criminal act involving two or more unknown persons.

The inquest into his death saw contradictory evidence being presented by forensic pathologists.

Adib’s family meanwhile, is reportedly planning to sue police and claim compensation for their failure to control the riot, leading to his death.