Following the IRB raids on the companies of his three sons, Mahathir says Najib and his family should be subject to raids too.
Mokhzani Mahathir’s Kencana Capital Sdn Bhd office was raided by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB) on Aug 8.
On the same day, IRB also raided Opcom Holdings Berhad and Crescent Capital Sdn Bhd, which are the offices of Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s two other sons, Mukhriz and Mirzan.
According to Opcom’s official website, Mokhzani is listed as its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and Mukhriz is mentioned as a major shareholder of the company, while Mahathir’s eldest son, Mirzan, is listed as the CEO of Crescent Capital.
Mukhriz said the raids were politically motivated, FMT reported.
“We expected it to happen. And we expect it will not stop. The harassment will continue. It is politically motivated.
“I will cooperate fully with the IRB. They are doing a professional job. They are taking instructions from people with political interests,” Mukhriz said.
He added that IRB had yet to call him but he expected that they would have to submit documents such as tax declarations first to fulfil certain requirements.
“I don’t think it’s a coincidence. Or that they (IRB) are just doing their job,” Mahathir’s daughter, social activist Marina said in a text message to FMT.
Umno leaders, including its deputy president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and supreme council member Nazri Aziz, had recently called for a probe on the Mahathir family wealth.
There have been also calls by the Opposition coalition to probe Zahid’s wealth after Mahathir alleged that the deputy prime minister was worth RM230 million.
The former premier had previously claimed that his friends and those thought to be connected to him were being harassed by the government, including through the use of the IRB.
Speaking at a press conference today, Mahathir said the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) should carry out raids on the offices of Prime Minister Najib Razak and his sons as well.
“I think we should do this raiding more often and we should also subject Najib, his family, his wife, his son and his son-in-law to raids.
“All of them should be subjected to raids. The whole world has mentioned Najib but there have been no raids.
“They have their rights, they can do what they like. The government has the power to abuse,” Mahathir said.
He added that more should be revealed on the wealth of a “certain minister” who suggested that he be subjected to raids and investigations.
“I suggest we should also (subject Defence Minister) Hishammuddin Hussein to a raid because we know that we need to study the lifestyle of these people, and also extend it to his brother and sister, as they sometimes use the names of their brothers and sisters.
“But they are welcome to examine all my books and everything. MACC is also welcome,” Mahathir said.
Meanwhile, Mahathir has invited Prime Minister Najib Razak to sit down with him in a Nothing to Hide Forum 2.0 this Sunday.
He said the two could have discussions on how he had enriched his children as well as how Najib had RM2.6 billion in his personal accounts.
Mahathir is under investigation over Bank Negara Malaysia’s (BNM) forex losses in the 1990s when he was prime minister. The Royal Commission Inquiry (RCI) investigating BNM’s multi-million ringgit losses began on Tuesday.
Along with other opposition leaders, Mahathir has since urged the government to also form an RCI to investigate the alleged losses suffered by 1MDB, and allegations of embezzlement from the state-owned firm.