Mujahid Takes Responsibility for Sale of TH Hotels, Slams Those Baying for Guan Eng’s Blood

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Decision to sell Tabung Haji hotels was Mujahid’s and not Lim’s.

  • Issue being used to sow hatred and to legitimise slander
  • Fake image claiming that Lim was chairing a meeting on Tabung Haji
  • Lies spread to tarnish PH’s reputation despite PH saving RM10 billion deficit due to previous BN government

Religious affairs minister Mujahid Yusof Rawa today defended Lim Guan Eng after the finance minister became the target of online attacks over the sale of four Tabung Haji hotels.

Mujahid in a series of tweets said the decision to sell the hotels was his and not Lim’s.


“Matters related to Tabung Haji are under my jurisdiction as the minister in charge of Islamic affairs and not Lim,” the minister in the Prime Minister’s Department said.

Mujahid’s tweet came after an image of Lim with a caption that the DAP leader is Islam’s No. 1 enemy and “his blood can be spilled” was shared on social media.


“This Chinese is the one damaging TH (Tabung Haji) assets belonging to the Malays. He doesn’t deserve to live in Tanah Melayu,” the caption read.

Mujahid said all decisions by the Prime Minister’s Department to rehabilitate Tabung Haji are in accordance with the Tabung Haji Act.

Despite this, Lim is still the target, Mujahid said.

“Clearly this issue is being used to sow hatred and to legitimise slander. I wish to stress that all decisions are in accordance with the Tabung Haji Act and that the minister in charge of religious affairs is responsible, not the finance minister,” Mujahid said.

In an earlier tweet, Mujahid also refuted claims in a caption of an image circulating on social media of Lim purportedly chairing a meeting on Tabung Haji.

“This is the real issue behind the TH conundrum. They are not interested to rescue TH but want to use it to spread lies to tarnish Pakatan Harapan’s reputation despite PH saving a RM10 billion deficit due to the previous BN government.”

DAP often finds itself in the crosshairs of Umno and PAS as well as other right-wing groups with regard to religious and racial issues.

Despite its leaders’ repeated denials and explanations, the predominantly Chinese political party continues to be accused of harbouring an agenda to dilute the position of Islam and the Malays.

In a statement yesterday, TH announced that it has transferred the ownership and operations of four hotels to Urusharta Jamaah Sdn Bhd (UJ), without the retrenchment of any staff member, effective April 1.

It said operations will continue as normal at TH Hotel Kota Kinabalu; TH Hotel Bayan Lepas; TH Hotel & Convention Centre Alor Star; and TH Hotel & Convention Centre Kuala Terengganu

UJ’s subsidiary, UJ Property Management Sdn Bhd (UJPM), will take over the hotels from TH Hotel and Residence Sdn Bhd (THHR).

All the hotels are part of an asset transfer involving 29 properties, one unlisted company and equity worth RM9.63 billion.

The statement comes after a purported internal memo announcing the closure of the hotels, went viral on social media.

The notice also mentioned that staff will be offered a separation scheme.

UJ has raised sukuk bonds amounting to RM9.6 billion and paid RM300 million for the ownership transfer. The company has also prepared funds to upgrade hotel facilities, which would be ready for use during the haj season, the statement said.

About 90% of staff members will continue work at the hotels the remaining 10% to be absorbed into TH Hotel & Residence Kelana Jaya.

The sale is part of Tabung Haji’s restructuring plan to reduce Putrajaya’s financial commitment, the statement said.

The management of the four hotels will be led by Muhammad Salleh Ramli, a former board member of Hotel MS Garden Kuantan, Pahang.

He is also formerly CEO of the Hotel Seri Malaysia chain.