Raymond Koh Might Have Been Victim of Human Traffickers

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Police believe a human trafficking syndicate, busted in operations in Kedah and Perak last month, may have been involved in the abduction of Pastor Raymond Koh.

Leslie Lopez/ST

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said police investigations following the detention of three syndicate members indicated that Koh might have been their victim.

“We believe this syndicate has links with groups in southern Thailand.

“We are working with our Thai counterparts to investigate further,” the IGP said today.

On Jun 17, a suspect had opened fire at police near Kampung Weng, Ulu Lenggong, Kedah, and he was killed in the shootout.

Checks on his Toyota Vios led to the discovery of 40g of heroin and two licence plates.

Police then raided a house in Kampung Selarong, Pengkalan Hulu, Perak and arrested the suspect’s Thai wife.

They also seized 250g of syabu; a pipe bomb; a cache of bullets; photos of the pastor, his house and vehicles; and a licence plate bearing the number ST5515D – the car registration number of Koh’s silver Honda Accord which he was driving when he was abducted.

Three other suspects, in their 30s and 60s, were arrested in a follow-up operation.

Investigations revealed the dead suspect in his 40s was the key person in an arms, drugs and human trafficking syndicate operating at the Malaysian-Thailand border.

Koh was abducted in broad daylight by a group of at least 10 masked men in seven vehicles along Jalan SS4B/10, a residential area in Petaling Jaya, on Feb 13.

Referring to the IGP’s latest announcement, the wife of Koh today restated her concerns about learning of developments on her missing husband’s case through the media rather than directly from the police.

“As with the previous announcements made by the IGP to the media about my husband’s abduction on April 6th and May 24th, I have not been briefed about any of these so-called developments, leads or arrests by the police,” Susanna Liew said in a statement.

“Like the rest of Malaysia, all I know is what I have read in the media,” Liew added.


She urged the police to arrange a meeting so she may receive a proper update on the investigation.