Recovered RM26 million believed to have been taken by senior officers of the so-called spy agency.
- Ninth and latest arrest is of 47-year-old businessman ‘Datuk’ in Kelantan who has permanent residency in the UK
- MACC looking for 20 more witnesses
- Other MEIO officers may be arrested
- About two months to complete investigations
- Investigation is about the abuse of power
The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has seized some US$6.3 million (RM26 million) in cash in its investigations into the alleged misappropriation of US$12 million in government funds involving the former head of a spy agency.
The MACC has already arrested former Malaysian External Investigation Organisation (MEIO) director-general Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid and seven other former MEIO officers in its investigation, said MACC deputy chief commissioner Datuk Seri Azam Baki.
“Our latest arrest was of a businessman in Kelantan at 11pm on Wednesday (Aug 29).
“In total, nine people have been arrested so far and we are not ruling out the possibility of more arrests,” he told a press conference on Thursday (Aug 30).
Azam added some US$4.07 million (RM16.8 million) of the recovered funds were seized from the 47-year-old businessman who has a ‘Datuk’ title.
“The magistrate’s court has granted us a seven-day remand order against the businessman. He is a Malaysian but has permanent residency in the United Kingdom.”
Azam said MACC had so far called in several witnesses, including three from overseas, and were looking for 20 more.
“We have also not ruled out the possibility that other MEIO officers may be arrested to assist investigations. We estimate that we will take two months to complete investigations and hope there will be no or has not been any movement of monies overseas as this will complicate matters.
“We raided a few premises, including a condominium unit in Cyberjaya.
“We can’t classify the premises as an MEIO safe house as we have to investigate further.
“We are investigating the source of the funds and how the cash was brought into the country, as well as where it came from.
“We believe the funds were government funds and we are investigating its purpose,” Azam said.
Hasanah entered the limelight after it was revealed that she had written a letter to the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) before the election, seeking support for the Barisan Nasional government.
But Azam said that their investigation had nothing to do with the letter.
“It is about the abuse of power,” he added.
Azam urged those with information on the remaining sum to come forward, adding that the agency would protect them as witnesses.
He also said there was a possibility he would seek an extension of remand for Hasanah and the seven others.
Meanwhile, Azam said the commission would not investigate the late Jamaludin Jarjis over the huge wealth he left behind.
“He has passed away. If someone makes a report against anyone who is dead, we cannot investigate. We don’t have a suspect here. On his property, I can’t comment. It’s a court case,” he said.
Jamaludin, who was the Rompin MP, died in a helicopter crash in 2015. Yesterday, his mother filed a suit to get her daughter-in-law and four grandchildren over some RM2 billion in properties reportedly belonging to her son.
Aug 30, MACC Probing Hasanah: US$12M Linked to 1MDB Missing from Ex-PM’s Office
Aug 29, Ex-Spy Chief Hasanah Remanded Five Days