Two on Wuhan Flight Fail Screening at KLIA, Sent to HKL

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Of the 107 Malaysians evacuated from Wuhan, China, two did not pass their health screening after their arrival at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) here, early today.

The two were subsequently sent to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL), said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.

The remaining 105 were transported to a surveillance centre at the Higher Education Leadership Academy (AKEPT) in Bandar Enstek, Nilai, Negri Sembilan, she added.

AirAsia flight AK8256 carrying 107 Malaysians and their non-citizen family members touched down at KLIA at 5.57am today.

They were evacuated from Hubei province’s capital city, Wuhan, which is the epicentre of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak which has killed over 400 people and infected over 20,000.

Also on board were eight mission team members, six officials from the Malaysian Embassy in China and 12 crew members.

Dr Wan Azizah said all 107 Malaysians had passed an initial screening in China before boarding the AirAsia flight chartered specifically for the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) effort.

Mindful of the danger posed by the virus, the government laid out stringent procedures for the group arriving from Wuhan to ensure the elimination of any risk of infecting others.

The plane skipped the normal parking bay at KLIA, coming to a halt instead at a designated area not far from the air disaster unit (ADU) while those who disembarked from the aircraft did not enter the KLIA building, reducing the risk of contact with other people.


The transfer of passengers and crew from the plane to the ADU took about two hours, with only one bus belonging to the Fire and Rescue Department deployed for this.


Even the bus driver was seen wearing protective gear as he ferried the face mask-wearing passengers to the ADU.

Following the health screening procedure, two Fire and Rescue Department buses left the ADU with police escort about 9am for a monitoring facility called the Home Surveillance Centre where evacuees will be quarantined 14 days.

Two other buses were also seen leaving the ADU for the monitoring facility later.

Dr Wan Azizah said the 105 evacuees will be monitored by health officers from the Health Ministry.

“At the centre, communication is limited only to health officers. No communication with outsiders, including family members, is allowed.

“Hence, we call on family members and friends to give their cooperation,” she said, adding that the centre is also being monitored by police.

Dr Wan Azizah said that the quarantined individuals will undergo health screening twice daily to ensure their good health, before they are released after the surveillance period of 14 days.

She also said that according to Wisma Putra, some of the 34 Malaysians who missed the flight back to Kuala Lumpur had been caught up in logistical issues, such as inability to secure transport to the Wuhan airport.

It was reported earlier that a total of 141 people, comprising 116 Malaysians and 25 of their non-citizen spouses and children, would be evacuated from Wuhan.

“Although it was previously informed that there were 141 individuals who had registered with the Malaysian Embassy in China to return home, but the actual number who boarded the flight was 107 people,” Dr Wan Azizah said.

“According to Wisma Putra, a number of Malaysians scheduled to board the flight could not leave Wuhan due to logistical issues.

“The main reason was that they were located outside of Wuhan and faced difficulties to get transport to the city or airport,” she said.

Meanwhile, the death toll from the novel coronavirus outbreak in China rose to 425 as of the end of Monday, up by 64 from the previous day, the country’s National Health Commission said on Tuesday.

Of the new deaths, all were in central Hubei province, the epicentre of the virus outbreak. In the provincial capital of Wuhan, 48 people died.

Across China, there were 3,235 new confirmed infections on Monday, bringing the total number so far to 20,438.

Earlier report: Feb 3, AirAsia Flight Leaves for Wuhan to Bring Malaysians Home