Kuantan Member of Parliament Fuziah Salleh, who will be charged in Johor tomorrow with spreading fake news, said she hopes the charges against her are not politically motivated.
The former deputy minister said if the charges are political in nature, then it is highly regrettable and should not have been brought against her.
“I will continue to defend the truth and my rights, and I am sure that justice will prevail,” she said in a statement today.
The Pahang PKR chairman confirmed that she received a letter from the Johor Baru Magistrate’s Court today to be present at court at 8am tomorrow.
“The notice states that (the charges are) related to Section 505(b) of the Penal Code for statements conducing to public mischief; and Section 249 of the Communications and Multimedia Act which concern access to computerised data,” read the statement.
Under the law, a person who is found guilty of committing such an offence is liable to a punishment of up to two years’ jail, or fine, or both.
On April 10, it was reported that a video of an allegedly out of control situation at the Sultan Iskandar Building in Johor Baru was shared on Fuziah’s official Facebook page.
The social media posting allegedly claimed that the Sultan Iskandar Building turned chaotic after large crowds of Malaysians returned home from Singapore.
The posting, however, has since been removed and Fuziah’s page administrator apologised for posting an old video, hoping that it had not caused panic.
Fuziah was later called to provide her statement to the authorities over the matter.
Police clarified that the posting was an old video of a fire drill at the Sultan Iskandar Building last year.