Former MP Tamrin Ghafar denies offending Johor royal family

255
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Tamrin charged with making offensive statement against Johor royalty

Former Batu Berendam MP Datuk Mohd Tamrin Abdul Ghafar pleaded not guilty in the Johor Baru Sessions Court today to a charge of making an offensive statement against the Johor royalty on his blog last year.

Mohd Tamrin, 71, who is also the son of the late former deputy prime minister Tun Abdul Ghafar Baba, claimed trial after the charge was read out to him before Judge Wan Mohd Norisham Wan Yaakob.

According to the charge sheet, Mohd Tamrin, using his blog “tamrintunghafar”, is alleged to have knowingly making communications that was offensive in character with the intention to hurt the feelings of other people, which was read on the Facebook page of “Dato Tamrin Tun Abdul Ghafar”.

The blog posting involves an article about the Tunku Mahkota of Johor, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, and the Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar.

Mohd Tamrin, who is currently unemployed, was charged with committing the offence at Media RPO Services office, Jalan Persiaran Southkey 1, Kota Southkey, at about 7 pm on Feb 2, 2020.

The charge, under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (Act 588), punishable under Section 233(3) of the same act, provides a fine not exceeding RM50,000, or imprisonment for up to a year, or both, if found guilty, and shall also be liable to a further fine of RM1,000 for every day during which the offence is continued after conviction.

Wan Mohd Norisham set bail at RM8,000 in one surety and fixed May 23 for case management.

General Crimes and Public Order Unit head Datuk Yusaini Amer Abdul Karim and Johor Prosecution director Tengku Amir Zaki Tengku Abd Rahman prosecuted the case, while lawyer Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali represented the accused.

Meanwhile, Tamrin has denied an allegation that he is the chief supporter of a move to replace Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin with Umno veteran Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah.

Responding to a posting by political blogger Raja Petra Kamarudin, the former Batu Berendam MP said while it was true that he wanted Muhyiddin to be replaced as prime minister, he was not involved in creating any fake news.

TMI

“I strongly deny (the claim) of producing and circulating any fake news,” he said in a statement today.

Recently, supporters of Tengku Razaleigh, better known as Ku Li, had been accused of circulating a fake memorandum on PPBM’s plans as part of a “now or never” campaign to make Tengku Razaleigh the prime minister.

Raja Petra said “Team Ku Li” had launched its campaign with the circulation of the so-called confidential memo purportedly about a PPBM Supreme Council meeting.

However, PPBM secretary-general Hamzah Zainudin said the memo was fake and a police report would be lodged to track down those behind it.

Raja Petra, who named former Umno member Tamrin as the head of the team, claimed that Tamrin had been campaigning for the past 35 years for Tengku Razaleigh to become the prime minister.

He said Tengku Razaleigh’s supporters were “working overtime to try to cause a rift between Umno and PPBM”.

If the two parties could not reconcile their differences before the elections, he said, “then they will need a ‘dark horse’ mutually acceptable to both warring factions. And this dark horse is going to be Ku Li, or at least he hopes so”.