The Home Ministry today said it stands with the Sabah government in cancelling the implementation of the Sabah Temporary Pass (PSS).
Sabah Chief Minister Mohd Shafie Apdal had yesterday announced the cancellation of the PSS, as decided at a state cabinet meeting, adding that the decision would be conveyed to the ministry.
The ministry said in a statement today it has taken note of the decision made by the state government after taking into account the views of various parties.
“Since the decision on the implementation of the PSS was jointly agreed to by the Sabah and federal governments through the Management of Foreign Nationals in Sabah Committee, the ministry, as co-coordinator, will take a similar stance with the state government in cancelling the plan to implement the PSS,” the ministry said.
In September last year, Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin, after chairing the Management of Foreigners in Sabah Committee meeting, announced that the issuance of the PSS would start from June 1 this year to replace three documents issued to foreign nationals in Sabah, namely, the IMM13, census certificate and Kad Burung Burung.
Shafie had reportedly said after the PSS decision was announced last September that the state government always heeded the people’s voice.
The ministry, meanwhile, said that resolving the refugee issue in Sabah is a joint commitment of the Sabah and federal governments, which should be a continuous effort, exercised with great caution without compromising on citizenship rights, or the interest and safety of the people of Sabah.