Johor has always benefited from the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme due to its popularity with Singaporeans, but this may change under the new, stricter conditions, said menteri besar Hasni Mohammad.
He said the old conditions under the MM2H should be retained as the new requirements will have an impact on Johor.
“The situation in Johor is different because we are neighbours with Singapore and the MM2H programme has given us many benefits in the past.
“We hope the home ministry will not only review the conditions but also reach a decision immediately. Johor is very much affected by the new conditions announced and if possible, we want the old conditions to be retained,” he told reporters after handing over 46 housing units for the resettlement of Kampung Ladang Darat residents to Kampung Pendas Baru today.
He said he had also raised the matter with finance minister Tengku Zafrul Aziz in a discussion this afternoon.
The Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar recently expressed his disappointment with the home ministry for refusing to review the strict conditions for MM2H.
He said Johor was one of MM2H’s popular destinations and that the programme also contributed to the state’s revenue.
On Aug 11, the home ministry announced that MM2H, which was previously frozen, would be reactivated with improvements to the application policy and conditions for the purpose of balancing security and economic aspects.
Today, Hasni said the state government also expressed its desire to Tengku Zafrul to expand the food supply agenda and its readiness to become a supplier of food products to foreign countries.
“We received an allocation of RM35 million through last year’s budget and will ask for an additional budget next year to make this agenda a success,” he said.
Hasni said Tengku Zafrul was ready to review several incentives for the electronics, manufacturing and petrochemical sectors in the state due to the sluggish economic situation following the Covid-19 pandemic.