Mat Sabu’s Son Told to Enter Defence over Drug Charge

1070
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The Kuala Lumpur Magistrate’s Court today ordered Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu’s son, Ahmad Saiful Islam Mohamad, to enter his defence in his drug abuse case.

Magistrate Mohamad Aizat Abdul Rahim found that the prosecution has proven a prima facie case against Ahmad, following testimony by six prosecution witnesses during the trial.

The magistrate also ordered the minister’s son to present himself on February 13 at 10.30am to defend himself.

Ahmad Saiful, 32, stood calmly in the dock in the packed courtroom as Aizat delivered the decision at the end of the prosecution’s case.

Mohamad Shahril Badri Saali/NST

Ahmad Saiful Islam, who is represented by lawyer Nasar Khan Mirbas Khan, is facing trial under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

After proceedings, the accused, who was previously granted bail of RM3,000 with one surety, was then seen leaving the court while in discussion with Nasar.

FMT

On June 13, last year, Ahmad Saiful was charged with administering a THC drug (marijuana) at an entertainment centre at the W Hotel here, at about 2.05am on Jan 5, 2019.

He faces a fine of up to RM5,000 or imprisonment of up to two years, or both, if found guilty under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

Deputy public prosecutor Nur Fatin Mohamad Farid prosecuted.

Mohamad had on January 5 personally confirmed his third child’s arrest. He also said then that he was leaving it to the authorities to act according to the existing legal process and that his son is subject to the country’s laws like others.

On January 9, Mohamad said that he would not attempt to protect his son from the law and that there would be “no special treatment”, adding that the law should take its course and that ministers do not take up their positions in order to protect their children.