Musa Aman Arrested at Hospital Bed, No Remand, out on Bail

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Embattled former Sabah chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman was arrested at a private hospital where he was being warded after returning from London on Tuesday.

Sabah police commissioner Dat­uk Ramli Din said that Musa was arrested at 10am at his hospital bed yesterday.

However, magistrate Norshah­irah Abd Sa­­lim rejected the police remand application for the 66-year-old.

It was learned that Musa had his statement recorded by police late yesterday in connection with Sabah governor Tun Juhar Mahiruddin’s criminal intimidation report.

It was reported that at the remand hearing at the hospital, Musa’s lawyer Amer Hamzah Arshad informed the magistrate that his client had left the country through “proper channels” to seek medical treatment and to attend to personal matters.

It was learned that the various correspondence between Musa’s lawyers and the police were also shown to the magistrate to show that he was willing to cooperate.

The application for remand was made by the investigating officer Deputy Supt Ramasamy Kuppan.

“(The police) applied for a remand order under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) but this was rejected by the magistrate (magistrate’s court).

“He will be released on bail as been ordered by the magistrate,” Ramli said in a brief WhatsApp message.

After the 14th General Election (GE14), Musa was in the United Kingdom to seek medical treatment following a heart bypass surgery.

He returned to Malaysia on Tuesday via Singapore, arriving by private jet at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang.

He was immediately admitted to Subang Jaya Medical Centre.

Besides facing a probe concerning the criminal intimidation, Musa is being investigated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over allegations of buying over assemblymen.

In Kota Kinabalu, there is talk that Musa could be sworn in as the Sungai Sibuga assemblyman as early as today.

Sources said he was expected to fly back to Kota Kinabalu early today, though it was uncertain if he was well enough to do so.

Senior leaders from Sabah Umno and its partner Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) said they looked forward to meeting Musa.

Sabah Umno secretary Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun and Sabah Umno chief Datuk Hajiji Mohd Noor said they planned to visit him if he was still at the private hospital in Subang Jaya.

PBS information chief Datuk Jahid Jahim said he believed members of the Sabah Umno secretariat were already in the federal capital to meet Musa, who remains the Sabah Barisan Nasional chairman.

At the hospital’s VVIP suite, its personnel and security were on alert against unauthorised visitors.

Meanwhile, de facto Law Minister Datuk Liew Vui Keong said Musa should corroborate his claims of illness with a medical report instead of just a photo on Facebook posted by his political secretary.

He said while there were unsubstantiated claims on social media about Musa’s so-called “medical conditions”, his son Yamani Hafez, who is the Sipitang MP, was seen in a photograph standing beside Musa, who appeared to be fine.

Liew chided Yamani for showing complete disregard of his responsibility as an MP and disrespect to Parliament by not attending the swearing-in ceremony held last month.