Perak Exco Member Out on Bail, Calls Rape Claim “Nothing but Slander”

512
- Advertisement -

Paul Yong denies rape claim, says “truth will prevail”, as cops quiz his family and complainant.

Facebook

“I never raped her, molested her or harassed her in any way,” Perak executive councillor Paul Yong Choo Kiong said today.

The beleaguered State Local Government, Public Transport, Non-Muslim Affairs and New Villages Committee chairman, who was arrested yesterday after his maid lodged a police report that she was allegedly raped by him, said he is both shocked and confused by the allegations, which he insisted were fabricated.

Yong, who has since been released on police bail, said he has cooperated closely with the police to ensure he is cleared of what he claims are slanderous allegations, adding that he is confident that the truth will prevail.

Facebook

“I have brought witnesses to help in the police investigations and to show that this is nothing but slander,” he said in a statement today.

Earlier, the exco’s lawyer denied that his client was arrested, claiming that the father of four went to the police station on his own accord.

“He was not arrested but went to the police station voluntarily. Police did not arrest him,” Leong Cheok Keng told Malaysiakini.

Yong, a first-term exco member and second-term state assemblyperson, said he respects the process of the law and believes that the police will carry out their duties in a transparent and professional manner.

Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain @ Abd Rasid confirmed that Yong was arrested and released on police bail yesterday, adding that the case is being investigated under Section 376 of the Penal Code.

On Monday, Yong’s maid, a 23-year-old Indonesian, lodged a report at the Jelapang police station, alleging that Yong had raped her at his Meru home.

Meanwhile, Razarudin in a statement said Yong has undergone a medical examination to facilitate police investigations, after which he was released on police bail.

He said the alleged victim will be placed in a safe location until the investigation papers have been referred to Bukit Aman and the Deputy Public Prosecutor.

“Forensic investigations were conducted where the incident was alleged to have taken place, and evidence taken for analysis. Statements have been taken from several witnesses, including the executive councillor’s family members.

He said the maid had lodged a report on Monday, alleging that she was raped by her employer at his house in Meru.

“Acting on that report, we initiated investigations by recording her statement and sending her to the hospital for a medical examination,” he said.

Razarudin said the case was being investigated under Section 376 of the Penal Code for rape, which is punishable by up to 20 years’ imprisonment and whipping.

The rape allegation surfaced two days before the new Perak exco line-up was due to be sworn in.

Exco members for the state are appointed on an annual basis.

Following last year’s general election, DAP assemblypersons comprise five of the 11 exco members in Perak.

The five are Wong Mei Ing, A Sivanesan, Paul Yong, Howard Lee and Abdul Aziz Bari.

However, the appointment ceremony of the new exco line-up, which was scheduled to take place tomorrow, has been postponed to a later date.


Earlier report: July 9, Nga: Let Cops Probe Claim Perak DAP Exco Raped Maid