Previin Devastated by Nhaveen’s Death and Grief-stricken for Confronting Bullies

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

He broke down on hearing Nhaveen had died and has been grief-stricken, regretting his noble intention of confronting the assailants to stop his best friend from being bullied.

Zulaikha Zainuzman

When T Nhaveen slipped away from this world on Thursday, his best pal was being wheeled out after surgery, still sedated.

The next day, he was adamant on seeing Nhaveen.

“On Friday night, he kept wanting us to take him to Nhaveen, thinking he was still in the Penang Hospital intensive care unit,” Previin’s mother, K Kalyani, 59, told The Star yesterday.

She said when the family finally broke the bad news to him, Previin was inconsolable, crying non-stop. By then, Nhaveen’s remains were already cremated.

“He won’t eat and can’t stop crying,” said Kalyani, fighting back tears.

Previin’s eye is better now but it does not ease the pain in his heart and he is pining for his best buddy.

Nhaveen and Previin, 19, finished Form Five last year. They were attacked by five teenagers, whom they knew as friends and former schoolmates.

Previin underwent surgery to reconstruct his cheekbone after it was smashed from the beating he took from the five assailants before he managed to escape.

His uncle, MGR Devan, said Previin would be discharged in a few days.

“We’ll request for police protection after he is discharged,” said Devan, fearing for Previin’s safety as he was the only witness.

The day before Nhaveen succumbed to his injuries, Previin had expressed regrets that his noble intention had backfired.

He said the incident could have been avoided had he not confronted the two bullies who had teased Nhaveen. He only wanted to stop his best friend from being bullied.

“Nhaveen used to tell me stories of how he was bullied in school. His bullies would smack his head and punch his face. He is a soft and kind person. Maybe that was why they did it,” reported the New Straits Times.

Prior to the attack, Previin had picked up Nhaveen from his workplace at a mall in Bayan Lepas.

Previin said they often had supper after Nhaveen finished work.

While waiting for their burgers at a stall, the two bullies started harassing and teasing Nhaveen using foul language.

A war of words broke out but the bullies left the area soon after on a motorcycle.

“When I was about to drop Nhaveen off at his house, I saw the two bullies again. I warned them to stay away from Nhaveen. I did it for my best friend…I just wanted them to leave him in peace.”

However, things went horribly wrong.

The two bullies started beating them with helmets and summoned more of their friends.

Previin said the bullies were merciless, pounding them with helmets non-stop.

He escaped from the group on his motorcycle and went to Nhaveen’s house to alert his family members.

Together, they searched for Nhaveen, but it proved futile. Shortly afterwards, they were informed that Nhaveen had been admitted to a hospital.

“Nhaveen was not troubled by being bullied.

“But, because I confronted them that night, my friend is now lying motionless and has not woken up since. I hope he will recover soon,” Previin said.

Sadly, that was not to be.