Teen Beaten, Sodomised, Burned, Declared Brain-Dead

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Five people detained for assaulting teen, who has been declared brain-dead after suffering severe injuries.

  • Victim just a day away from enrolling in college
  • Taunted for being effeminate
  • Suspects admit involvement in incident

T Nhaveen, 18, was allegedly beaten, sodomised and burned by a group of youths outside a burger shop near a mosque in Gelugor, Penang, last Friday.

He has been declared brain-dead at the Intensive Care Unit of the Penang Hospital.

Police have arrested five suspects on a preliminary charge of rioting with weapons.

According to family members, Nhaveen and his best friend Previin, 19, were working as promoters at a supermarket in Bayan Lepas while waiting to enter college.

Nhaveen was supposed to be enrolled at a private college for a music composition course in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

On Friday, after their night shift, the boys had gone to a burger shop outside the Taman Tun Sardon Mosque near their home for supper.

At the scene, they encountered two former schoolmates who started to taunt Nhaveen. The two were alleged to have bullied him in school for being effeminate.

Nhaveen pleaded with the duo to stop but, instead, they phoned their friends and six other youths arrived on motorcycles. The eight then started hitting the boys repeatedly with crash helmets as well as punched and kicked them.

Previin managed to flee the scene and informed his uncle about the incident. He later sought treatment for bruises on his face at the Penang Hospital.

Meanwhile, one of the youths on the motorcycles forced Nhaveen to a nearby field at Jalan Kaki Bukit.

What happened there is yet unknown but Nhaveen, who was unconscious, was sent by a brother of one of the assailants to the Penang Hospital at 2am on Saturday.

Emergency personnel treated the victim for severe head injuries and a wound on his groin which oozed blood. He was later transferred to the neurological ward at the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.

Doctors told his family members that there was evidence of forced penetration to the victim’s anus, injury to his private parts and burn marks on his back.

Nhaveen’s mother held a press conference today with lawyer Baljit Singh at the hospital, demanding that the hospital authorities conduct a thorough examination of her son.

Baljit, who is also Gerakan’s legal and human rights bureau chief, urged police to investigate the matter thoroughly.

Northeast police district chief ACP Anuar Omar said four youths, aged between 16 and 18, were detained for alleged rioting. Earlier, police had arrested a man in connection with the case.

Two of the five suspects were secondary school students, one a college student and two were unemployed.

According to Anuar, the suspects have admitted being involved in the incident.